What's new

An Unfortunate Casualty!

A couple of days ago, my Waterman Carene fountain pen was bumped off a table onto my hardwood floor. Maybe a fall of three feet. The cap was off, but it landed on its side and didn't hit the nib. I figured all was well, recapped it, and put it away. I picked it up this morning, pulled off the cap and started writing. Huh? What's this? Something is loose...OH CRAP! :crying:

$IMG_2099.jpg

Yep, it's completely cracked through the section, right above the point where the internal brass junction fitting ends. I'll be sending it out to the Waterman repair facility, where I'm pretty sure they'll be able to replace the section. At a cost, of course. :blink:

This was my first high-end pen and it was a gift from my wife, so I'll definitely be looking to getting it put back together again.

strop

Now half as wise
Larry, call them first. You may not have to send it back. I had a cracked section on a Phileas, and they just sent me a whole section/nib unit as a replacement. Very prompt customer service, too.

Thanks, Mark. I sent them an email. We'll see what they can do. That would certainly be simpler than sending the entire pen back and forth.

Man when I dropped the FA nib on hardwood it deflated me so much and broke my heart (Up until DC where Mike fixed it), I feel your pain Larry, hope it gets all worked out for you

A little duct tape and superglue and you're golden!

In all seriousness, good luck on the repair. I had a Waterman ball point / rollerball lose the pocket clip once, and Waterman sent me a new cap, but that was years ago.

Sorry about that, But please post a warning next time "graphic pictures"
How do you expect me to sleep after seeing that ?

UPDATE:
UPS just dropped off a package at my door containing my lovely Waterman Carene. It's fixed...and best of all, they fixed it at no charge! (It was listed as a guarantee repair for a defective section.) They even threw in a new converter and a Waterman Serenity Blue ink cartridge. Needless to say, I'm very pleased! :thumbup1: :w00t: :thumbup1:

Wow, great service! I love stories like this.

How is the Carene, Larry? I know I said I was "done" with my pen buying not too long ago but I've always loved the inlaid nib on the Carene. It might seduce me into buying a Waterman. At one time I had a personal rule against paying over $150 for a cartridge/converter pen, which is one of the reasons I don't go in for a modern Sheaffer Legacy or Valor. But I can't deny that the blue Carene looks plain awesome and is veeeerrrry attractive.

Kevan, I'm very pleased with the Carene, both as a sexy piece of bling, and as a writing instrument. It's not a light pen, since the body is primarily enamel over metal, but it's very well balanced and comfortable, even with the cap posted. I like the size...to me it's the happy medium between too big and too small. The nib is 18K gold, smooth, and well-performing. It's fairly rigid, as is typical for most modern pens, so don't expect a lot of line variation. It's got a little bit of spring, but no flex. Some people might not be crazy about the tapered grip section, but I find it comfortable wherever I hold it, either close to the nib or further back.

I was fortunate to be able to try one out in a shop before committing to a purchase, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Carene just based on my experience and other reviews.

Top Bottom