What's new

Tobacco and Leather Recommendations

Yes. Arrival is imminent. Anticipation intense. I have a few others on the way also. FAD seems to have gotten out of hand.

Haha! Yes. The many options make FAD hard to resist. My reaction to The Cobra and The Canary was initially mixed. I was repulsed, then pleased. My wife first stated "wash it off", then came back a bit later stating how good I smelled. She finally said she couldn't decide if she loved it or hated it. Pretty cool.

When I was growing up, come about November, we'd light up the wood stove in the barn and start bringing down the sticks of tobacco we'd put up the previous August. We'd "strip" the leaves from the plant, grading them at the same time based on color, size and uniformity and tie them up in little bundles and stack them. I only did half days stripping tobacco but the smell of those cured leaves permeated everything at the end of the day. It was a great smell. A fresh tobacco leaf smell that beat anything you could get out of cigarette, cigar and most pipe tobacco.

That's exactly the smell of Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio EdP. Can't recommend it highly enough. I have no idea how she managed to capture it so perfectly, but wearing this takes me back 4 decades in seconds. There's allegedly a coffee note in it as well, but I don't get that.

Any suggestions where to find this at a good price? I only see Luckyscent for $215.

I was not able to achieve satisfaction with any of the scents so far. I had high hopes for the Bell'Antonio but, for me, it did not hit the mark with the tobacco and it did not seem to last.

The Cuoio Tartaro by AbdesSalaam Attar, while leather without tobacco was nice but too I found it did not last or project as I thought a more expensive EdP would.

If the Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio was more intense and the leather like walking into a tack shop full of fresh leather were combined-Ah, well. The search goes on. Maybe some Tom Ford to try next.

Last edited:
Without a doubt Crown Shaving Co. Aftershave Tonic. Notes of tobacco, leather, bay rum and talc. Smoking and aromatic, my hands down favourite!:thumbup1:

I have a very untrained nose, but whenever I tried Tuscan Leather all I smelled was (in order) tobacco, raspberry, and then leather. The raspberry threw me off quite a bit. It does last forever, though.
Have you considered something like Guerlain Derby? Wasn't quite my cup of tea, but it is heavy on the leather, with no sweet or flowery notes.

Without a doubt Crown Shaving Co. Aftershave Tonic. Notes of tobacco, leather, bay rum and talc. Smoking and aromatic, my hands down favourite!:thumbup1:

Strange coincidence. I just ordered some from West Coast Shaving. It should arrive on Tuesday. The description was inticing and my desire has amplified so going in previously untried. Looking forward to it.

I have a very untrained nose, but whenever I tried Tuscan Leather all I smelled was (in order) tobacco, raspberry, and then leather. The raspberry threw me off quite a bit. It does last forever, though.
Have you considered something like Guerlain Derby? Wasn't quite my cup of tea, but it is heavy on the leather, with no sweet or flowery notes.

I'll have to revisit the Tuscan Leather. From what I recall it was a bit too much burnt tobacco and a fade of leather. Didn't appeal at the time. The Guerlain seemed devoid of tobacco and had other scents that seemed to conflict. The aroma I seem to be reaching for are like HTGAM's Cavendish and the leather note in their Tombstone but with more depth, like the leather in a new Mercedes and perhaps a note of wood like pine or eucalyptus.

I'll have to revisit the Tuscan Leather. From what I recall it was a bit too much burnt tobacco and a fade of leather. Didn't appeal at the time. The Guerlain seemed devoid of tobacco and had other scents that seemed to conflict. The aroma I seem to be reaching for are like HTGAM's Cavendish and the leather note in their Tombstone but with more depth, like the leather in a new Mercedes and perhaps a note of wood like pine or eucalyptus.

If you find something like that, please let us know. That sounds like it would be an interesting scent. Right now, my leather go-to fragrances are Knize 10, AdP Colonia Leather, and Hermes Bel Ami. Those last 2 I don't think are what you're looking for. The AdP smells like Tuscan Leather w/o the tobacco note, and Bel Ami might have a bit too much patchouli for your tastes.

When I was growing up, come about November, we'd light up the wood stove in the barn and start bringing down the sticks of tobacco we'd put up the previous August. We'd "strip" the leaves from the plant, grading them at the same time based on color, size and uniformity and tie them up in little bundles and stack them. I only did half days stripping tobacco but the smell of those cured leaves permeated everything at the end of the day. It was a great smell. A fresh tobacco leaf smell that beat anything you could get out of cigarette, cigar and most pipe tobacco.

Not sure if he is the Marketing Director for Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio EdP or writing the opening lines of a best selling novel. Seriously, if I'm looking for an accurate description of something I'm coming to this guy.

I received my bottle of the Tonic. It's an interesting scent. However, I don't iperceive anything distinctively tobacco here. Upon the first splash I get a refreshing and surprising burst of anise or licorice. It is a bit unique and it is enjoyable albeit shortlived. A keeper but likely not for repurchase.

You know that smell you get when you walk by a tobacco shop? The smell of pipe tobacco without cherry or honey or bourbon. And when you walk into a saddlery, the smell of fresh tanned and cut leather. Come now. How difficult can this be? I've tracked threads all the way back to 2003 asking for the same thing. So many replies recommend this or that for tobacco OR leather, but seldom a worthy product combining both. I would say, someone nail it down and you have a multimillion dollar product.

You know that smell you get when you walk by a tobacco shop? The smell of pipe tobacco without cherry or honey or bourbon. And when you walk into a saddlery, the smell of fresh tanned and cut leather. Come now. How difficult can this be? I've tracked threads all the way back to 2003 asking for the same thing. So many replies recommend this or that for tobacco OR leather, but seldom a worthy product combining both. I would say, someone nail it down and you have a multimillion dollar product.

Have you considered layering a tobacco fragrance that you like with a leather frag that also works? That might get you what you're looking for.

I received my bottle of the Tonic. It's an interesting scent. However, I don't iperceive anything distinctively tobacco here. Upon the first splash I get a refreshing and surprising burst of anise or licorice. It is a bit unique and it is enjoyable albeit shortlived. A keeper but likely not for repurchase.

I'm about halfway through a bottle of the Crown Shaving Co. Tonic. I like it and can detect the tabac I note. But it does miss the mark based on what you're seeking, IMO.

What at did you think of The Cobra and The Canary? I'm still not sure whether I really like it or really dislike it. I'm still oscillating between both opinions and I only wear it occasionally.

I'm about halfway through a bottle of the Crown Shaving Co. Tonic. I like it and can detect the tabac I note. But it does miss the mark based on what you're seeking, IMO.

What at did you think of The Cobra and The Canary? I'm still not sure whether I really like it or really dislike it. I'm still oscillating between both opinions and I only wear it occasionally.

It is unusual but I reach for it when I'm in a whimsical mood. It is true to its description for sure. I can detect some tabac, leather, tree and firm bit of asphalt. But it does not have the finish or sophistcation of something I would want a full bottle of.

It is unusual but I reach for it when I'm in a whimsical mood. It is true to its description for sure. I can detect some tabac, leather, tree and firm bit of asphalt. But it does not have the finish or sophistcation of something I would want a full bottle of.

Fair enough. I can't imagine buying a full bottle either. But I did buy a full bottle of Aramis Havana. I like how the tobacco note smells in this one.

The Aramis Havana and the Pure Havana are different I assume. I'm going to try and seek them out this weekend. Available at Macys, Nordstrom or Nieman?

Top Bottom