What's new

Getting a lot of tug on chin

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone else has this problem: I shave my entire face with no problems at all, but as soon as I get to the chin, it feels like I'm trying to shave through steel wool. There is a lot of tugging, which kind of hurts. I can never get this spot (or my jawline for that matter) clean like the rest of my face. My setup is pretty mild (Merkur 33C loaded with Personna Blue Lab) and I even prepped my face with EVOO right after a hot shower.

Is there anything crucial I'm missing?

I'm all for the different directions, but also try different blades. Check with the various venders here at B&B, and get a good size sampler pack. That way you'll be able to find the right blade for your face/beard type. The blade can have a lot to do with the quality of the shave.

I usually do WTG twice on my chin to smooth it out (on the same run -- just relather). It seems to work a lot better. My chin used to sting as well... Try stretching your chin out a little too.

I had the same issue and started using Shave Secret as pre-shave oil and Feather blade. This has worked well for me.

Last edited:
It's going to tug when you didn't do a pass properly. If you don't remove a lot of hair with the WTG, the ATG will be pretty painfull to do. I think you need to map your hair grow direction and take your time when shaving.

As has been said, map the growth on your chin and see what you're working with.

I have the same problem and it's like a stubble explosion on my chin and I always have to do extra clean up. What works for me is a sharp blade and short strokes and buffing. I still have to do the extra clean up but I don't get a lot of pulling unless I haven't shaved for a few days.

My chin is the thickest part of my beard. I never really have any issues with it. My hair is very very coarse and when I blade buff it WTG I really feel it but if the blade starts catching while I'm buffing, I use much shorter strokes for a bit.

I recommend 2 things for you: 1 try a slant razor, and 2 try feather blades. Really did the trick on my chin for me, and my situation was exactly like what you described!

I put a few drops of glycerin on each side of my razor before hitting the chin. This gives a little extra lubrication and works for me, however, YMMV.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the suggestions! I am not a daily shaver, since my growth is kind of patchy. Once it starts looking gangly (like 2 days growth) I chop it all down.

Top Bottom