What's new

Thanks to this member I had my first near-death experience. THANKS :

(Dang it, of course I spell first wrong.. Sorry!)

Just kidding! My good friend Sfeile piffed me a great little Disposable Straight Razor and a few blades! I am SO thankful for the generosity of Sfeile and everyone else in this community!

My first shave was great! Straight shaving is probably my favorite method, despite my cut up face! I went WTG, XTG, and whatever worked for ATG. I definitely have to develop better technique. My big nicks were because I didn't stretch my face enough, didn't take short enough strokes, or I couldn't figure out how to keep the razor steady enough for some angle! Luckily they were only during my ATG cuts; I can let them heal tomorrow while I use my DE!

It felt like my lather wasn't wet enough the whole time: the blade had a really hard time sliding across my face. It was probably due to one of the problems listed above ;)

I love the amount of technique involved in straight shaving; I can see why people swear by it. Any pointers are appreciated, as always. Mostly, though, this post is a thank you to Sfeile.

The razor itself is mostly plastic, with a metal insert to hold the blade. It slides in from the top. (Sorry, I suck at the lingo still :p). The blade was very steady. This razor is definitely one that I would consider taking on trips with me because it is extremely lightweight. It fit my fingers pretty well using the 2-2 method of straddling the scales.

Enjoy the pics below! (1) My cuts (The left side stopped bleeding before I took a pic), (2) The pif (THANKS AGAIN!), (3) The Setup

$e956ea07-07ab-4eb9-b6fc-713fcb864d61_zps76b1f2a1.jpg
$IMG_20141108_075653.jpg
$IMG_20141108_080015.jpg

Real straights are actually more forgiving than shavettes, but once you figure out the technique, you can get a pretty good have with the shavette.

Most of us have been there.
I took me far too long to figure it out and my mug suffered.

I actually found that the blades made quite a difference in the shavette. Some blades were far better than others.

Thanks for the support, descent, and advice everyone! We'll see what happens tomorrow! I'm letting my face heal today just using my DE ;)

Even if it feels like it needs a few days to heal, let it. No need to rush and risk re-opening any nicks/cuts. Shavette technique does take some practice to dial in, for sure.

I just got a a shavette for my birthday the other day. I have been DE shaving for 6 months now.

Today was my 4th shave with the shavette. I still for feel comfortable doing my entire face.I well do as much as I feel comfortable doing and then finish it off with the DE. I have noticed like you that my lather had to be adjusted to work well with my shavette too. I hacked my face up the first two days. I took a day off watched some more videos in YouTube and the next two were a makes improvement. Today only got one little cut on my chin. A huge difference from my first shave.

Per suggestion, I tried getting a more moist lather and also just did one N-S pass. I got one cut on the side of my lip, but nothing too bad. I'm still having the stickiness problem as I go, but less so if I lather more than once during a pass and if I remember to pull my skin back as far as it goes.

I can't quite figure out how to hold the blade for a couple angles, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure it out soon

Well you've certainly got the commitment.

Shavettes aren't really an intermediate step between de and straights. In fact, my worst cuts have been from a shavette, not a straight.

I'd say skip the shavette and go buy yourself a "sight unseen straight razor" from whipped dog.

Well you've certainly got the commitment.

Shavettes aren't really an intermediate step between de and straights. In fact, my worst cuts have been from a shavette, not a straight.

I'd say skip the shavette and go buy yourself a "sight unseen straight razor" from whipped dog.

I have heard that from a few people! I do have a straight on the way. Actually, I'm still very interested in learning the Shavette for travelling purposes -- I can't see myself carrying a nice DE or Straight on vacation, but a cheap shavette is light, small, and easy to carry around IMO. I think that given enough practice it will be a decent alternative if I want an extra-close shave or want to keep my mind alert ;)

Kudos on the commitment. I also started with a disposable straight and on my second try I had some weepers on my left side (I'm a rightly). I eventually got it, no nicks for one month or so. Then moved to a full metal straight I do find it much more forgiven.

I would suggest you leave it to heal for a week, then dive in again, and add no pressure at all, keep it to one or two passes, not ATG. Do some practice runs with out the razor blade, it will help you develop your muscle memory. Try dulling new blades on a cork, you may see that some blades become mellower with shaves, this helps that process.

Keep on shaving :thumbup:

Never tried a shavette myself. I think I'd cut myself too with it being so light. A good straight has some heft and I'm sure you'll notice the difference. Once you get your technique down you'll probably struggle to cut yourself. To date the worst cut I've had straight shaving has been on my finger due to innattention picking it up. If I'm travelling I always take a straight with me, strop on a newspaper and use a travel brush. Takes up next to no room. I couldn't and wouldn't have it any other way.

Game on! If you can master the unforgiving shavette then real straights will be a walk in the park.
It's already schooling you hard in technique obviously, and that's a good thing :)

Ouch. This probably shouldn't have been my first thread to start my straight razor curiosity.
I'll PM you. Don't worry about it. Part of the humor is the gash. Straights are MUCH more forgiving than shavettes. I now get a BBS every time with the shavette with no cuts. It is a fun shave, I was just dumb!

Top Bottom