What's new

Fixing the Yixing?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

So ... I pour my hot water into my yixing pot and ... "crack" ... I hear this unsettling sound. Hmm ... the pot is still intact but ... why is there so much water on the table? Hmm ... then I see it ... a hairline crack on my yixing pot going about halfway around ... and water sweating out.

Argh!!

Now, can anything be done to fix this, or is it toast?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Out comes the trusty JB Weld Epoxy- Marine Formula. This stuff is non toxic, safe up to 500 degrees F, 100% waterproof, and will hold until eternity. Equal parts of the liquid steel and hardener are mixed together on a piece of foil with a plastic q-tip until it becomes a smooth uniform gray color.

Cool!

Of course, I have to wait for the pot to actually break apart (or help it along :scared:) but at least in the meantime I can use my leaky pot.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Oh this is sounding very sad. . . a somebody broke my My Hoo-Too Foo-to-Boo-to Bah moment.

Will Doc4 ever be able to enjoy tea again?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Update ... the pot is now in three pieces.

I dropped it ... well, it slipped out of my hand and rolled across the table from about 6" up ... and a big chunk came out. I was able to easily pry off the other chunk, so now I can glue and repair.

Photos to come.

Something fell on my red yixing very soon after I got it. Luckily the lid absorbed the impact, so only it required repair. As I recall I found a two part epoxy that was food surface safe or something, sorry can't recall the brand. Has held up for a good three or four years now.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I glued it up yesterday ... hope to try it out next week after a good, long cure.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
After:

$DSC04627.jpg$DSC04628.jpg$DSC04629.jpg

Okay, kind of getting the hang of the glue ... a bit too much trumps not quite enough ... but I seem able to chip away the excess once dried, so it won't end up so ugly eventually.

Top Bottom