What's new

I thought I'd share how DE changed my life

This is before, with a Gillette Mach 3 and goop-in-a-can
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415369084.472080.jpg

This is after, Gillette Slim Adjustable / Astra SP / Arko
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415369231.667052.jpg

I believe the pictures say it all. I started shaving with an electric when I was 13. I moved on to a G II / Sensor at 20, and then eventually Mach 3. My life was impacted by the quality of my shaves as I didn't always want to, and when I did, the results were there for all to see. They were often MUCH worse but I hate getting my picture taken and I know this is the reason why. The pain and physical appearance lead me down a certain path, one where I chose not to shave as often as I would have liked. I had to have long stubble or a beard, if only to give my face the necessary rest, and to hide the unsightly mess that I knew drew strange expressions from others. Between different GP's and dermatologists, and many "amateur experts", I was never informed that what I was using, was impacting me as it was. It was put down to all manner of skin conditions. I guess they believed the cartridge hype every bit as much as I did. Tablets and ointments never worked and it lead me down a very dark path which I stayed on for years, but when I found this site about a year ago, aged 41, that all changed. I read up as much as I could, and together with a couple of the other forums, and YouTube videos, that long road I was being dragged along, would open up to a field of knowledge that would have a dramatic effect on my life. Unless you have been impacted in a similar way, you can't begin to grasp how different I feel now. I'm getting BBS every shave, no irritation AT ALL! Never had a compliment in my life about my appearance, and although I'm taking it very strange, I am certainly getting them now.
This is all down to everyone on these forums, and Mantic59 and the other saints of YouTube. I love shaving!!!
I say thank you to each and every one of you.

Nice! I used to have terrible acne, and daily cart shaving made it so much worse. Eventually I just shaved every second or third day, one pass WTG. Made a huge difference for my skin, but I always looked scruffy.

With a DE or straight razor, good soap/cream, and proper technique, I can now shave four days in a row and have great skin.

Good on you. I am glad you have found relief from your affliction. I shave every day and do not have any problems whatsoever. I cannot remember the last time I have had any type of ingrown or any other problems. I love to shave every day.

That's awesome! I'm in the same boat, but from an ingrown hair standpoint. I always used cartridges and continually got what I thought were pimples on the right side of my chin.....turns out they were annoying ingrown hairs. Since changing to a DE they have almost completely stopped. I just wish I would have make this change much sooner!

Can I ask how long it was before you noticed a drastic improvement? I'm guessing it was quick, like my own experience, but I didn't have as severe of problems as you.

Can I ask how long it was before you noticed a drastic improvement? I'm guessing it was quick, like my own experience, but I didn't have as severe of problems as you.

I knew after the first shave with a DE that something was majorly different. Like everyone before me, It took a few shaves to hone my technique and sort my skin but honestly, by the second DE shave, I never looked back, that condition was consigned to my history book.
I've been lucky that I've had the time this year to devote to shaving. I'm not someone who does things by half measures either, I go at it full bore. I've taken all the information I can glean from these forums and videos, in an effort to do this thing properly, and it's paid off. I'm getting BBS every shave and I'm loving every minute of it. I was never expecting any of this to happen, I just wanted to cure an issue I'd spent 27 years just putting up with.
My skin will never be 100% but I wasn't expecting miracles - I just didn't think I'd get this close!

Hey GordyN - how much time elapsed between the two pics?

I think the before picture was around January or February, as I took a few to show the dermatologist that was "treating" me. The after pic I took to attach the file today but really my skin went from before to after in about a month. Had I known the difference was going to be as big, I would have catalogued it.
I suppose I should have added that I've now shown the dermatologist, the DE kit I'm using, to not only let her see the difference in me but to maybe help her to help someone else in the same boat. Actually, when I brought up that I'd also cut out all SLS, she didn't appear aware it could cause issues, or even what it was.
I hope that someday, this information will help others.

Top Bottom