What's new

Monthly Tobacco Discussion November 2014

Haven't had one of these recently and there's a topic I thought would be interesting.

The Topic is...

Heh, heh, I didn't put it in the title to lure you in :shifty:

Now that the temperatures are changing, do you find your preferences for tobacco are changing as well. For us northern hemisphere brothers, it's getting colder. I typically only smoke cigars outside. And with the cold weather already on my doorstep, I'm letting the remaining sticks in my tupperdore rest until the sakura blossom.

Lately, I find that VaPers or any Perique heavy blends are just what I'm looking for. Subtle sweetness from the Vas backed by a nice Periquey bourbon warming sensation. C&D Burley flake #3 is a sure bet for me along with GQ BurPer Kake.

How have the elements affected what you put in your bowl or take out of your humidor this year?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I haven't smoked anything in over a month. Lately nasel snuff has been my go to. It's not just the weather, the new bambino stays with me in the mornings, and then goes to work with me in the afternoons so free time has been in short supply.

Last edited:
I've been reaching for cigars more than pipes lately, but that's due to a recent shopping spree setting off CAD.

As for pipes, I'm starting to crave more latakia and "darker" blends now that the weather has gotten colder. Instead of Ennerdale Flake, for example, I'd rather have Kendall Flake. Instead of a nice VA or VaPer, I'd rather have a darker English.

It's similar to my preference in beer. In the summer I prefer Weissbiers and the like, whereas in the winter I go for darker beers like porters or stouts.

Mmm... now I need to have a cigar or pipe with a bottle of Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter. That shall happen sometime soon.

I dunno why but lately I've been reaching for captain black. Anyone ever miss smoking the cheap Drug store stuff?

I dunno why but lately I've been reaching for captain black. Anyone ever miss smoking the cheap Drug store stuff?

Absofrigginlutely. Half and half in a corn cob pipe is one of my weekly smokes. What I would give for some Carter hall.

I bought a 12 oz tub of Cap Black white from cvs when I was in America for 11 dollars. I'll be opening it when I am home for good.

I really want to get back into smoking my pipes. I have cigars almost every night on the way home from work, but I really enjoyed the pipes last year, although I was never very good at smoking them. I have an unopened tin of Drew Estate Meat Pie that is calling to me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I really want to get back into smoking my pipes. I have cigars almost every night on the way home from work, but I really enjoyed the pipes last year, although I was never very good at smoking them. I have an unopened tin of Drew Estate Meat Pie that is calling to me.
Do it- Meat Pie is great stuff

The boys and I have been talking, POTD needs more Wurglehound.

I'm smoking more lat blends these days.
i also dig out the ropes starting this
time of year. Semois is also a go to
when the weather turns chilly.

Going against the idea I've noted that as it really starts to hear up here in Aus I'm going back to the dark side. But that may just be a side effect of ignoring it for so long. Interesting, I'll have to watch my choices over summer.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Yep. I really miss Carter Hall, because nobody carries it here. The gas station only carries Prince Albert and Captain Black, and I'll indulge in them every once in a while. Not so much the Captain anymore, since I've got two big cans of Captain Black Royal, which I like even better than the regular.

I smoke more aromatics in the winter, because smoking in the house is sometimes the only option and my wife would throw me out if I smoked English blends inside. I can at least get away with aromatics using the claim I'm creating holiday ambience.

I missed the summer, but I was planning to smoke a lot of cigars this summer. I resumed smoking just in time for winter and am smoking my usual - English blends.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Thinking about it, I am gravitating more towards English blends, or aromatics with nutty/caramel flavors in them. The English blends bring to mind a warm fire, while the aros remind me of fresh-baked cookies. Both set the mood better than anything else this time of year.

Top Bottom