What's new

Winter shaving routine?

I don't make any changes to my routine for winter shaving. While it does get fairly cold here at times, it's not cold enough and I'm not outdoors enough for it to have much effect on my face.

In San Francisco, the difference between summer and winter is not that pronounced. It rains more in the winter, but if it's sunny, it's just as likely to be seventy degrees as it is in July. The days are shorter, obviously, and the air is a little drier. I do change my routine based on weather, however. Hot days I cold shave, cold days I do a hot towel method. Dry days I use an aftershave balm or lotion, but I prefer my AS splashes any other day. On really cold days I use as much Tabac as I can get away with, soap and AS, simply because the scent is so great for cold days! Similarly, on particularly Spring-ish days I use a Proraso creme with menthol, and the Veg. Invigorating shave and a pleasant floral scent.

Winter just brings minor changes for me, I use the scuttle and use CC C09T aftershave, that's about it, all else remains the same!

cold water shaving when it's -40 out is very refreshing.

I'm working on the Arctic Coast of Alaska and can definitely attest to this. Up here I just shave less frequently. Like every 3-4 days. If not, I'll tear my neck up. Not many clean shaven people up here anyways, though.

When I'm home in Louisiana I get back into my normal routine, and my shaves are much better.

Nope, no changes. I've been backing my splashes with milks lately, but only because I'm enjoying it, not because of the weather.

Cold water shaver, so no menthols (its not even that cold yet and the other day I regretted using Bigelow).
I always use ASB dew to skin issues.
More witch hazel and less alum block.
Occasionally skip a shave.

The exact same as in my summer although I have to admit that cold water shaving when it's -40 out is very refreshing.

^This!
I cold-water shave year round. But I do tend to go very spicy with the aftershaves. Bay rums are the way to go, usually.

Last edited:
Same as usual, but grow the goatee out a bit wider and thicker and turn the heating on in the bathroom when it starts to get proper cold. Always moisturize the face after AS anyway.

What do you do that require that amount of grooming perfection, if you don't mind me asking?

He is one of the stars of Wild Alaska on Animal Planet. A local B&B celebrity.

As far as winter shaving goes I start favoring creams over soaps and balms/milks over splashes. I don't think it's necessary, but I'm a seasonal creature. Anything with menthol goes on the shelf until spring.

No change in procedure, less splash A/S, more lotions or balms. When I use a splash, I prefer the bay rums, like CC North. I am looking forward to using HTGAM Beach soap and A/S in the dead of winter, should be fun.

The only change for me is that I may use a moisturizer after my aftershave splash if my face feels dry. I will probably also skip more days of shaving here and there as it gets colder.

the backs of my hands get red and crack real bad every winter here. my shaving routine doesnt change though. just use my trusty Nivea shave gel/cream and ill have no problems on my face. as long as i wash my face with hot water and a good soap, actually been using MWF to wash my face, and then im good to go. summer is still much better though, my skin does feel a lot better.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
My winter -
aftershaves: SGS aftershave balm,
Al's Goodfellas aftershave balm,
Barrister & Mann VHCS aftershave

No changes. I always use Proraso pre-shave oil/cream/AS and even in the winter I love the cold menthol experience.

I switch out the alcohol splashes with Lucky Tiger, switch to hot water away from cold, and use heavier scented creams. Definitely apply a little extra balm at the end as well. I use Neutrogena. As much as I like my Prorasso green I don't think it will see the sun for a couple months. Too chilly for a morning shave.

I start moving away from menthol soaps and aftershaves and into balms and break out the brush scuttle. Love that warm lather!

Top Bottom