What's new

Winter shaving routine?

Hey guys,

With the weather getting colder in the US (especially here in the Midwest) I was wondering if any of you make changes to your shaving routine? I've noticed more irritation on my neck recently with the dryer air that comes with colder weather. I'm going to pick up some Nivea aftershave balm today to help, but want to know if there was a good pre shave product anyone prefers to use in the winter.

Thanks

Never really noticed it before, but I think the more drying aftershaves are going to be benched for the winter. But I find myself leaning more towards warmer scents. Krampert's Bay Rum AS was awesome this morning with a warming feeling and good moisturizing properties.

For preshave stuff I just continue with what I usually do. A good lather is all I usually need.

No major changes. I just don't use any menthol AS splashes. If my skin gets dry or chapped, I'll finish with a balm or some Corn Huskers Lotion.

I use Gillette aftershave lotion, but am thinking it doesn't moisturize enough in this season. I'm thinking about getting a pre shave product also.

Living in Canada, I do need to change my routine quite a bit. Less menthol for starters. It messes with cold receptors, so, if its used when its cold outside, it'll feel even worst.

Also, I do need some moisturizer during the cold months. Not during summer.

I had been cold shaving in the summer. Now I went 180 degrees bought myself a GP G20 Scuttle warm that bad boy up and have been enjoying the nice warm lather. Also as previous posters mentioned I bench most of my AS splashes and go with the more moisterizing balms and lotions. Also scents will go from lighter citrus to warmer more heavily scented soaps and creams. So yes, I definitely change the routine based on season and mood.

I've got oily acne prone skin, so I use a splash usually still. But if I got some irritation, or my face just feels dry, I'll put on some NASB also.

I don't really change anything. I've started using some soaps with lanolin and/or Shea butter, but I don't know if I really feel much difference. I tried switching to Razorock aftershave wax a couple weeks ago, and while it felt great my skin didn't really like it. I've gone back to alcohol menthol splashes but I try to use the ones that have castor oil or jojoba oil for a little extra moisturizing.

No change in routine but I do find that I will have to follow my AS with a balm on occasion. The cold, dry air does seem to affect my skin from time to time.

The exact same as in my summer although I have to admit that cold water shaving when it's -40 out is very refreshing.

I think I will just be reaching for MWF a little more often, but in the PNW we don't generally get the dryness in the winter. I think I will (already started) start to favor warmer scents and mothball the citrus for the winter. Still cold water shaving, but I might break out the scuttle for a contrast. Cold water splash feels good in between passes, but cold lather on a cold day feels uncivilized.

If it gets really cold, I shave at night and use a face moisturizer before bed. Less menthol and more witch hazel.

I know all about winter and shaving. Im in the unfortunate situation where my face HAS to look good...let me check that....it never looks good but it has to look perfectly groomed, no nicks, cuts or rash. In other words dont let the ugly get uglier! Plus I live in Alaska and have to look good in sub zero.

I try to avoid anything drying, even though I am a greasy faced beast. Even with my natural grease dripping off my face like a cheap pepperoni pizza from a Tijuana Resteraunt, I still find my face drying out.

The solution: avoid splashes. Smack some witchhazel and follow up with Denali Dreams ManlyMan Aftershave Cream made up here in Alaska. It has a spicy scent so it blends well with the heavier scents I usually wear. If I wear Blenheim Bouquet, then I use their balm which as is as good.

I know all about winter and shaving. Im in the unfortunate situation where my face HAS to look good...let me check that....it never looks good but it has to look perfectly groomed, no nicks, cuts or rash. In other words dont let the ugly get uglier!

What do you do that require that amount of grooming perfection, if you don't mind me asking?

Here in Norway there is a noticable difference between summer and winter. I have to use good soaps, a good AS and maybe skip shaving a day or two of the week.

Top Bottom