What's new

Is it appropriate to use a knife sheath in your pocket?

Forgive me for the silly question. I have been getting more and more interested in artisan handcrafted blades, one particular one I like doesn't offer a folder option. So, in this case for it to be an EDC I would need a sheath.
I really don't like the look of wearing one on my belt, and was interested to see if anyone else out there uses a sheath in their pocket with a fixed blade.
Is this weird? Or acceptable?

Maybe illegal? Carrying a fixed blade is against the law in OK if it is concealed. I think you can wear it on your belt on plain view but not positive about that.
It may be an entirely different story in CA. I remember when I obtained a concealed carry license being kind of shocked that I couldn't legally carry an automatic blade or a fixed blade but handgun was totally fine:)

+1 to Otto. Check your local and state statues and ordinances. In NC it is also illegal to carry any fixed blade concealed...even if one has jumped through the hoops of obtaining a concealed handgun permit. My suggestion would be to find a nice folder that you can slip into your pocket. There are some beautiful options out there.

I didn't even consider that it could be illegal. A quick google search shows that apparently there are no laws regarding owning a fixed blade in CA, as long as it's not concealed in a pocket. Belt sheath is perfectly legal.
I suppose that answers my question! I just figured all knives were legal regardless of size after speaking with a local officer. He said that here in CA its perfectly legal to carry a Samurai sword in public if you wanted to. He just neglected to mention that it just cant be concealed :laugh:

Lol, that's a pretty big omission!
I used to carry a concealed fixed blade sometimes when I was a teenager, for whatever dumb reason. Glad I was never caught.

State law here says that it is illegal to conceal a fixed blade of any length. There is no congressional definition of a sword in CA, so it is considered a "long knife". Each city may be different though. Call your local DA to get the letter of the law in your city/county.

No Problem I carried a Mora in my overalls pocket and it works fine since I am left handed and the belt clip sets snuggly with that heavy denim pocket.

When I was a kid some of the old loggers and woodsmen used to tuck the lower part of the sheath into their back pocket. It kept branches from sliding up under the sheath.

Think it would still be considered "concealed" if the sheath clip was visible in the pocket, just like how a folder clip can be visible? Or do you think it has more to do with the fact it's a fixed blade and doesn't need to be flipped open once removed from the pocket/sheath?

It would be a good idea to err on the side of caution and speak with the local DA's office and with your Sheriff/local police chief on this one. Explain to them exactly how you would be carrying it, perhaps along with some pictures, and go by what they say.

Depends on where you live. Here (Holland) knife laws are relatively lax, but e.g. the UK and Denmark are very strict on folding and fixed knives.

I would be interested in a horizontal belt sheath, worn on the backside of my pants. Technically my shirt would cover it but I don't know if that would be considered "concealed".
I guess speaking with a deputy or other law enforcement would be able to clear things up.

Last edited:
I would be interested in a horizontal belt sheath, worn on the backside of my pants. Technically my shirt would cover it but I don't know if that would be considered "concealed".
I guess speaking with a deputy or other law enforcement would be able to clear things up.

It would, and without risking a criminal record to find out the hard way.

Appropriate? Do whatever you want! I've always chosen function over convention. It's your life, live it as you please.

I wouldn't as a deputy or beat cop. Go as far up the chain of command that you can. If possible get it in writing. Some laws have just enough room that they can be interpreted differently enough to get you in trouble.

Ive spoken with two officers regarding this. Now, I know they aren't the lawmakers... but both officers said they wouldn't bust someone carrying a knife this way unless they felt that individual had intent to use it in a malicious manner.
Both of them said something interesting though... along the lines of:

"If you were subjected to a search by me, and you were to tell me you had the knife in a concealed area on your person, I most likely wouldn't pursue any legal action because you were honest about it and there are no surprises. It's only when we "discover" a concealed knife where it is usually a problem."

Good enough for me. I'm an honest type anyway.

Top Bottom