What's new

Shaving brushes from Above the Tie

Just got some more hand turned brushes on the site. These silver tips have a 22mm knot and bloom in to a wonderful brush. Here are some sample photos, have a look;

Attachments

• $DSCN4238.jpg
    $DSCN4238.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 714
  • $DSCN4242.jpg
    $DSCN4242.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 708
  • $DSCN4246.jpg
    $DSCN4246.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 708
  • $DSCN4244.jpg
    $DSCN4244.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 707
I'd suggest a horse hair in a big (30 mm or more) knot. There is no such in market. I also like the big omega boar, but can't think what to do differently in boar. The only badger i like (out of my 18 badger brushes) is simpson chubby 2 and chubby 3 in best badger - big tight knot so that the bristles stand up and you can grab some soap and lather it well. But im I'm probably an outlier on brush preferences. I dont share the fawning devotion to badger.

I am working on something with brushes now that will allow us to increase volume.

I'd suggest a horse hair in a big (30 mm or more) knot. There is no such in market. I also like the big omega boar, but can't think what to do differently in boar. The only badger i like (out of my 18 badger brushes) is simpson chubby 2 and chubby 3 in best badger - big tight knot so that the bristles stand up and you can grab some soap and lather it well. But im I'm probably an outlier on brush preferences. I dont share the fawning devotion to badger.

I have never used Horse Hair. What does it compare to?

I have about five of them. Almost all I see in the market are made in Spain (Vie being the brand name or the obvious maker), but I have one from Turkey. I would agree with most people who say that they are between Boar and Badger in both stiffness and softness. I would say that they are smoother than either boar or badger -- smoother being my attempt to describe their slickness when wet. Environmentally, they are great since they cut the hair from the horse and it grows back. Recently, I've moved to more artisanal soaps in a container and face/puck lathering and I'd say they are ideal for that, but I'm still experimenting.

I have never used Horse Hair. What does it compare to?

It has been some time since we have offered our hand made silver tip brushes. The fine gentleman who had made them before had became ill. In the past few days I have finally located someone who has the skill and eye for detail that I had been looking for. He is also an avid wet shaver. We have already modified the look of the handle in a way that I believe everyone will enjoy. We hope to offer a surprise or two this year. I will post a photo of the redesigned handle perhaps later today.

Here is a protptype photo of our new brush design. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo.

Attachments

• $DSCN5027.jpg
    $DSCN5027.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 130
At Last our Above the Tie Silver Tip brushes are back. You can check them out on our site; abovethetie.com.
Here are some photos of our new brushes. The handles are hand turned here in Tennessee. No two are exactly alike. To add to the character we have tweaked the design as well. The knots are 22mm silver tips with a 50mm loft. They are very nice and less expensive than "famous" name brand brushes. I hope you will try one very soon.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom