What's new

Need help keeping pipe stems nice and shiny

Hello everyone,

While I am primarily a cigar collector/smoker, I do enjoy smoking a pipe here and again as well. I have what can be considered to be a rather modest collection consisting of maybe 16 or so pipes. On those pipes that I smoke most frequently, I have noticed that the stems have become rather faded, tarnished, and very lackluster in appearance. One even having somewhat of a greenish tint to it.

I wanted to know - from those seasoned pipe enthusiasts out there - what your recommendations would be to maintain one's pipe stems to near pristine condition? I appreciate any/all suggestions toward this end. Thank you everyone.

Last edited:
Yes, I use SoftScrub (sp? It's the stuff you use to clean bathtubs and the like when you don't want to use an abrasive cleanser) and a soft cloth, such as an old t-shirt.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I personally wouldn't use soft scrub. Depending on how funky my stem is, I'll either use the stem restore kit from Walker Briar Works (it it's not super funky), or a melamine eraser (such as Mr Clean magic eraser) or micro sanding pads if it's pretty gnarly). Once clean, I'll use obsidian oil, Walker Briar Works wax, or even olive oil to keep them black.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I personally wouldn't use soft scrub. Depending on how funky my stem is, I'll either use the stem restore kit from Walker Briar Works (it it's not super funky), or a melamine eraser (such as Mr Clean magic eraser) or micro sanding pads if it's pretty gnarly). Once clean, I'll use obsidian oil, Walker Briar Works wax, or even olive oil to keep them black.
I smoked a bowl after scrubbing a sink with Soft Scrub once- all I tasted was soft scrub. I couldn't imagine using it to clean a stem. 1200 grit sandpaper or finer, wet, then olive oil or chapstick for shine.

I've also had success with taking a tablespoon of baking soda and mixing it in with 2-3 cups of warm water. Let that sit and you'll see the oxidation start to come off a little. A magic eraser and some elbow grease will remove most of it. If it's really nasty you might want to use a 800-1200 grit sand paper. Olive oil and chapstick to shine and seal it back up.

I would also recommend Halcyon Wax and/or Paragon Wax. Not only will it help protect your stems but it will also shine up your briars. Won't need much and the stuff works like a charm. Halcyon for rusticated pipes, Paragon for smooth pipes.

old-timers told me back in the 60's to just rub your pipe on either side of your nose, and your own body oils will shine it up

http://pipesmagazine.com/matchstick...oration-with-no-buffing-wheel-or-power-tools/

Thats my go to method.

Oxyclean soak in warm water for 15 minutes - 1 hour (Make sure to tape off any lettering)
Magic Eraser Scrubdown
Wetsanding with a Micro Mesh Pen sanding kit (Goes up to like 20,000 grit or something like that)
Finally a nice heavy coat of Obsidian pipe stem oil, applied and left to sit for about an hour, then polished up by hand with a nice soft cloth.

I've gotten the nastiest of stems back to black in no time with this method.

http://pipesmagazine.com/matchstick...oration-with-no-buffing-wheel-or-power-tools/

Thats my go to method.

Oxyclean soak in warm water for 15 minutes - 1 hour (Make sure to tape off any lettering)
Magic Eraser Scrubdown
Wetsanding with a Micro Mesh Pen sanding kit (Goes up to like 20,000 grit or something like that)
Finally a nice heavy coat of Obsidian pipe stem oil, applied and left to sit for about an hour, then polished up by hand with a nice soft cloth.

I've gotten the nastiest of stems back to black in no time with this method.

I use basically the same Method But from research learned that OXI clean works for approximately 6 hours. SO if she is in need of a real bath you can soak up to 6 hours at a time.(Wont hurt it to soak longer just wont have any benefit...) Then Magic eraser scrub... Never seen or had a need to sand any more so i just give them a good lather of my favorite chap stick( Chap stick brand original normally) I let it soak up for normally atleast a hour then wipe with clean rag and will look as good as new !

Top Bottom