What's new

When do you put on a coat for the winter?

I have my answer now! 27 degrees with 10 mph wind.. Coat is on for the rest of the winter... Now to see when I take it off ;)

For me it depends on what the temperature will be all day and if I am working or not. My uniform at work doesn't change no matter if it is 120 degrees or -40, except that I am allowed to wear long johns as long as they don't show, and a trench coat (which is basically worthless) if it is below freezing and/or raining. I have only worn it a couple times. I always carry my leather jacket with me so when I get into the cockpit it's goodbye suit jacket and trench coat and if I am cold hello leather jacket.

For when I am off work If it will be in the 50s for a high I will probably only wear a long sleeve shirt, 40s I will probably wear a light fleece or a sweater, 30s I will wear my coat, 20 or below I will break out the long johns too.

Depends on the time of year. 50F in September? Hand me my Filson Double Macinaw Cruiser. 30F in March? Shorts weather!

When it is cold!

But for me cold is likely not cold.

living in Alabama when the temp is below 40 f, it is cold enough for a coat.

But again, that word is variable as well depending on where you live. A coat for me would be more like a windbreaker for you fellas up north. And for me what northerners call a coat would likely never be able to be worn comfortably here.

So I find this whole question rather hard to answer.

this week where I live the highs will be in the sixties, and the lows in the fourties. And I would wear what I call a coat if I were out at night. But in the daytime I would likely not wear a coat.:thumbup:

I have a Carharrt coat. It has arctic lining (their words) and is quite heavy. On really cold days I also wear a Mountie style sheepskin hat...very warm. I also use what is referred to as 'garbage' mitts. They're made of horse hide with heavy lining inside. I also wear a heavy Mark's polar fleece sweater , under the Carharrt.

I live in the coldest city (over 600,000 population) in the world. :biggrin1: It gets very cold here. Winters are generally 5 1/2 to 6 months long. When snow falls early in the winter...it stays, does not melt...till the end of the winter.

I live in Hawaii and Southern California. Therefore, anything below 70 requires at least a light jacket and a hat. Below 60, I move to a heavier coat. Below 50 and I look like I'm headed out on an arctic expedition. Below 40... I'd probably die!!!

Down here in north Louisiana I don't usually put on a jacket till the mid 40's even so I might skip the jacket and wear a tshirt if I'm just walking to and from class on campus

A lot of people on campus are not as tolerant to cold I suppose, they put on heavy jackets and whatnot whenever the weather threatens to dip to the low 50's

I was dumb enough to put on my coat a month ago. Now that my pockets are full I can't take it off without losing everything... It has been 50 degrees all week :(

I have coat with me even in the summer. I hate being cold and getting caught in sub optimal weather without proper attire is one of my day to day fears.

Mind you, I use a bicycle to get around and don't own a car so I don't have the portable shelter thing. My clothes are my shelter so if it were to rain or get cold suddenly (it can happen) I don't have to ride home for 15 miles freezing my bum off.

We moved to Virginia from SF Bay Area, where winters don't exist. Well, you have to drive to Tahoe to get some but we never lived in it. It's taken some adjusting to living in actual seasons. And now into the second half of December I wear wool base layers and a down coat, but now when it's in the 40's it's no big deal, just carry a jacket in the car and wear a sweater.

I'm very interested in this.

I'm originally from Alaska. As such, once I put on a coat, I don't really take it off until May or June when I absolutely have to. This is mostly because my pockets get full if everything (combs, phones, plugs, pens, wallets, whatever) that I inevitably lose when I switch to summer clothes.

I've found over the years that I won't put on a coat until it is about 25F°-30°F.. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but this morning it was 37 and I didn't feel the nip!

What about all of you?

I think it depends on what's worn beneath the coat. True cold is rare here, and as warm as we keep buildings, thermal underwear is uncomfortable. But when we're going to be outside all day (like working an ice storm), I reach for the thermals.

These are just run-of-the-mill thermal underwear. Nothing high-priced or special. But I've noticed I'm comfortable without a coat in the upper 20's F/ negative single digits C, as long as the wind's not blowing.

This is while working. It makes a big difference if you're sitting still.

North Texas here...I usually don't put on a real coat (sometimes w windbreaker, but rarely) until near December. Then it comes off again around early February. Occasionally there are brief cold periods outside of that range that make a coat necessary, but that's increasingly rare.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I think I still own a coat but I have no idea where it is and certainly have not put it on for a couple decades or so. I did wear long pants a few days last winter; IIRC one day in January and two days in February. But one of the latter was because the shorts were in the wash.

December in Michigan. Filson, Woolrich or Pendleton thick wool shirts before that. The heavy wool usually comes out before Christmas though.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow, another old thread comes back to haunt us! I'd not change my 5 yo answer, but note that Michigan covers lot of distance north to south, it has already been in the 30's for August in the Yoop, down here in the cuff of the great mitten I'm still in shorts only, usually through September. But I've been snowed on Up North in October, as well as climbed up in a tree stand in November wearing just a t shirt.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Wow, another old thread comes back to haunt us! I'd not change my 5 yo answer, but note that Michigan covers lot of distance north to south, it has already been in the 30's for August in the Yoop, down here in the cuff of the great mitten I'm still in shorts only, usually through September. But I've been snowed on Up North in October, as well as climbed up in a tree stand in November wearing just a t shirt.
Even a Zombie (thread) deserves a new life.

It’s all about acclimatization. My chick keeps her house at 72F. I wear a lightweight hoody inside her place. My AC is 80F day, 77 F at night during the summer. Winter... once I get used to it, in the 60s if I turn on the heat.

My no kidding answer would normally be, in a temp that starts with a 6_F. That same hoody and shorts down to 50F with no cold wind when I’m acclimated to winter.

I’ve also comfortably worn shirt/pants in sunny, no wind 20F. and sweated a T-shirt under a regular shirt while snowshoeing an Akeo with a hat and lightweight gloves at -30C. To strip off the wet and bundle up in the tent when we stopped.

It’s all about being acclimatized. I’ve lived and worked at -30 to 130F. We’re amazingly adaptable creatures.

62F here today, early September, no need for a coat. 25 years ago I used to go on holiday around 200 miles north, it was always a frosty start first thing in the morning warming to around 50 at midday, things have changed.

One of my favorite coats is a stone colored rain coat, styled like a Burberry with with a zipped in lining, November through February the lining is much appreciated, the coat is smart but I really feel the bees knees with a dark blue wool overcoat, especially for those days in the City.

31bFXDQWYdL.jpg

Northern Ontario, Canada here.
At this time of year, mornings can be +2C (36F) climbing to a daytime high of +20C (68F). I still don't need to wear a coat or hoodie yet.
Several years ago, I attended Front Sight Firearms Training Center in Nevada for their 4 day defensive handgun course. I went in March to avoid the heat. It was nice and cool in the mornings, about 50F. There was a couple from Alaska in our pod of shooters. We were the only people in T -shirts in the mornings. Everyone else wore a jacket. Some wore parkas.
Instructors and staff were always checking us Northerners for adequate hydration and signs of heat exhaustion. They were awesome.

Top Bottom