What's new

Need a little more draw

I debated for a few weeks.. I wanted a paddle/board strop to compliment the other strops I have. I decided on a Kanyama board strop and in many ways it's perfect. It's a bit larger than palm size and that's exactly how I am using it, in my palm. This gives me excellent control over pressure with no concerns about tension.

One side is napped leather and the other is slick Cordovan. The Cordovan is too slick for my tastes. What to do...

I have a small travel strop that suffered the same short-coming and I took a piece of 1500 & 2000 wet/dry paper around a block and scuffed the surface. What I found is imparted a wonderful light draw. I also found that the paddle had a slight concave to it that telegraphed through to leather and which I was able to 'lap' flat.

What to do about the Kanyama. I am feeling I must be nuts to be considering taking sand paper to this strop. I'd like it to have just a bit more draw than my Tony Miller Heirloom Horsehide.

I give it a palm rub before each use.

Thoughts or suggestions to increase the draw just a smidgen??

The nature of cordovan gives it this very light draw. I would not change it at all. Much of what you paid for is the marvelous Kanayama finish. Give it time and see if the draw grows on you. Most of us come to love it.

I did a poor job researching.. I understood the draw on Cordovan is typically between horsehide and Latigo.

I agree with you Brian. I am going to leave it alone and see what develops.

I am going to leave it alone and see what develops.

I think this is a wise decision. Use the back side of the paddle for more draw. The soft, slick surface is what makes the Kanayama great. That sweet Kanayama cordovan should be the last thing to touch your razor before you shave. IMHO

The lack of draw is not synonymous with a lack of result. The result off of my Kanayama is better and faster than my strops with more draw.

I did a poor job researching.. I understood the draw on Cordovan is typically between horsehide and Latigo.

I agree with you Brian. I am going to leave it alone and see what develops.

I think you will be pleased with the results. Very few strops are in the class with Kanayama. They do undoubtedly feel different from others, but the results are outstanding.

I have used a cordovan strop before and it is something that just takes time to get used to. Practice practice practice :)

Top Bottom