What's new

Favorite inexpensive fragrances (under $35)

I enjoy Quorum as well. But absolutely it's been reformulated, probably several times, it's a 40 year old cologne. Oak moss has been replaced, other ingredients have been sacrificed, it still smells pretty good but different to its original formulation. IFRA has handcuffed and made most classic frags to reformulate.

Is there any site that keeps a list of all fragrances that have been reformulated and probable ingredients that have been removed as well as what they were replaced by? For example, Halston Catalyst for men was a beautiful, complicated fragrance when I bought it in the 1990's. The current formuation since being sold to EA Fragrances, while still smelling great doesn't have nearly the complexity. I still have a little left of the original, and after doing an occasional comparison test, the original smells smoother and more intoxicating.

It's hard to completely place the blame on the new owners of classic fragrances, as certain ingredients that made the original formulas what they were are not allowed anymore.

This past Thursday I picked up a bottle of Acqua Essenziale Colonia by Salvatore Ferragamo at my local Marshalls for $12.99 for a 3.4 oz bottle. This stuff just came out last year and I thought that was a crazy low price point. So far I am digging this scent. A nice lighter citrus based italian barbershop type fragrance. It does a wonderful job of balancing qualities of a more classical scent but is very much modern and does not smell dated. Can't wait to wear this as the weather gets warming from spring into summer!

View attachment 657445

Saw this at Ross or Marshall's on Saturday and almost picked it up. Now I'll have to go back, lol

$herve.jpg
After reading an enthusiastic review of Avon's discontinued Hervé Léger on the Pour Monsieur blog, I tracked down a bottle on eBay (under $20 for a 2.5 oz. bottle). I have to say I like it a lot. Nice fruit note to open (but not too sweet) it dries down to a nice sandlewood scent.

I'm enthralled with my latest and least expensive purchase--Lady Gaga's Eau De Gaga for a mere $8. A uni-sexual scent but leaning more to the male spectrum. A pretty simple note profile. I smell lime, leather and a hint of tobacco. Yet smells completely different on my wife (though she still says it smells like a man's cologne).

If you want to stand out from what the rest of the guys are wearing, head over to the woman's fragrance counter at your local Marshall's and pick it up. A steal.

Pino Silvestre
$pino.jpg
It was designed by Lino Vidal, who brought a handful of freshness and sweetness of bergamot, lavender, basil, shiny lemon and juniper berries in the top notes. The heart carries an explosion of spicy notes of carnation, nutmeg, geranium, thyme and fir tree. The base contains accords of amber, cedar, musk, Tonka beans and moss.

Nautica
$nautica.jpg
The design house of Nautica introduced Nautica Men in 1992 its a lavender, spicy, fresh scent blending masculine notes of lemon, sage, jasmine, sandalwood and moss. Its intended for day hours.

Cool Water

Bogart
$bogart.jpg
Created in 1975. Bogart cologne by Jacques Bogart is a classic refined and elegant fragrance for men. Top notes of lemon blossom and rosemary are softened by middle notes of nutmeg clove and geranium. Lingering base notes of Russian leather oakmoss and birch.

Bogart Pour Homme
$bogartph.jpg
Bogart Pour Homme was launched in 2004. Bogart Pour Homme was created by Maurice Roucel and Norbert Bijaoui. Top notes are lavender and bergamot; middle notes are orange blossom, lily-of-the-valley and rose; base notes are tonka bean, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and cedar.

Vintage British Sterling is excellent, new stuff is not so good.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Bogart
View attachment 688768
Created in 1975. Bogart cologne by Jacques Bogart is a classic refined and elegant fragrance for men. Top notes of lemon blossom and rosemary are softened by middle notes of nutmeg clove and geranium. Lingering base notes of Russian leather oakmoss and birch.

Tried Bogart as a BB, since I've had good luck doing it with this thread. Another hit! Leathery Fougere, interesting. I gave it four stars.

(Giorgio Beverly Hills PH gets five stars though, that stuff is whack!) Both of these greats are about $15, amazing.

AA

Tried Bogart as a BB, since I've had good luck doing it with this thread. Another hit! Leathery Fougere, interesting. I gave it four stars.

(Giorgio Beverly Hills PH gets five stars though, that stuff is whack!) Both of these greats are about $15, amazing.

AA

Glad you liked it! It is one of my regular scents.
I will have to try that Giorgio Beverly Hills, I have heard several mention it as a great scent.
:thumbup:

Top Bottom