What's new

Bullfrog neck technique

Forgive the long post. There is a lot to explain

After struggling for a couple years with getting close shaves on my neck, like many of us, I had resigned myself that CCS/DFS was the best that I could achieve. I tried additional prep, sharper blades, including straights, many additional passes, stretching the skin etc, etc, etc. Nothing gave better results. But I did notice one pattern. Stretching the skin gave me WORSE results. So after reading about the "anti-stretch" bullfrog technique, I started experimenting with "plumping" my neck out like a bullfrog. The results were immediate. DFS+ almost without effort. Over the past month, this is how my routine evolved.

Two passes XTG, no stretch or plump. These are N-S and S-N because my neck grows E-W. Then I plump my neck a little, not puffy, fat like a big bullfrog, but just enough to provide a soft, flat surface. I then do a 45° pass (towards ATG) as I finish my third pass on the rest of my face. This provides a consistent DFS+ across my entire neck. To reach BBS, I do a fourth puffy neck pass going as close to ATG as possible, incorporating a little blade buffing or j-hook into the pass. The result is BBS on 80% of the neck area. Another pass or a little additional work can get the last 20% but I usually don't do that.

So how many of you use the bullfrog technique? Or maybe the better question is how many are going to try it?! It takes a little trial and error but I found it well worth the effort!

I do it too. It helps with DE but really shines with my Weck, whose straight form factor and long blade result in it being ergonomically impossible to do east/west passes on the neck without bullfrogging.

Wow, excellent explanation of the Bullfrog Technique!
I don't need to use it, but this should help all who do! :thumbup1:

Wow, excellent explanation of the Bullfrog Technique!
I don't need to use it, but this should help all who do! [emoji106]1:
Thank you, sir! I guess the long post was worth it. I learned to shave with a DE and canned cream but the siren song of carts lured me away like most men. I've returned to using traditional shaving techniques for almost 18 months and B&B has helped take my shaves from chore to joy. We are all learning our "mileage" in the YMMV thing and the Bullfrog Technique certainly works great for me!

JMJ -

I have been trying this technique since reading it on another post. It seems to be working well for me.

The only exception is when I was using my Tech. It did not turn out so well for me... but to be fair I have been having trouble with the razor anyway.

YBIC
Mike

I bullfrog for a couple of tough neck spots. As noted, it takes a little practice, but it works well for me.

Did Mantic59 ever come out with a video showing bull frogging? I read he was working on one in a long thread on this topic. I think that would help me check what I've tried.

When I tilt my chin down, I can get a single, small roll, but it doesn't seem to help much. I changed my way of eating January 1, 2014, and I've lost 37 pounds this year. That might explain my lack of success, or I could just be doing it wrong.

When I tilt my chin down, I can get a single, small roll, but it doesn't seem to help much. I changed my way of eating January 1, 2014, and I've lost 37 pounds this year. That might explain my lack of success, or I could just be doing it wrong.

Interesting kansaskyle. Congrats on the weight loss!

I think that a big reason it works for me is that I have a lot of loose skin also due to weight loss. My bet though is "my roll is bigger than your roll!" [emoji1] Not that I'm pleased at having loose skin but it does point to the fact that "what works for me may not work for you" aka YMMV.

I feel that stretching the skin may straighten the hair but it also pulls the follicles deeper into the skin. Net result, in my case, is that bullfrogging puts more hair above the skin resulting in more hair available to be cut. (btw. I could be "formerkansaslyle" :^)

I found the video where Mantic59 mentions the bull frog technique (it starts @ 4:54), and I was doing it wrong compared to him. I'll try this out on today's shave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta love Mantic59. He mentions bullfrog for the jowls but he also seemed to use it for the center, adams apple, area of the neck. It is the center where I find it most effective.

I do agree that "flatness" is more important than "puffiness." In my case, I also think the softness matters because tautness seems to pull the follicles into the skin.

I tried the lean-in technique and bull frog technique that Mantic mentioned, and I must say that is the closest I've gotten on my jawline!

Not BBS, but a lot closer than anything else I've tried.

I've been doing this for the past month or so. Working out great for me. Its really been letting my neck heal as well after a few new techniques I was trying out to get a closer shave. Those ended up butchering my neck, and after about a month I'm finally starting to look normal on the neck again.

The thread that started all this (I think) is here. Lots of good input and info there.

It's worth pointing out that many shavers get good results from skin-stretching. However, many--such as myself--do not. For me it's a direct route to irritation. The bullfrogging technique is a great alternative. It also helps you get past the jawline demarcation, which is always troublesome. All you need to do is tilt your head towards the area you're shaving.

I'm forever grateful to the gents here who turned me on to bullfrogging, for it allowed me to get a close shave on my neck without irritation for the first time. I use it every day.

Thanks for bringing it up, Lyle--it's bound to help many new shavers.

Last edited:
I will give this a try for sure, thanks.

Forgive the long post. There is a lot to explain

After struggling for a couple years with getting close shaves on my neck, like many of us, I had resigned myself that CCS/DFS was the best that I could achieve. I tried additional prep, sharper blades, including straights, many additional passes, stretching the skin etc, etc, etc. Nothing gave better results. But I did notice one pattern. Stretching the skin gave me WORSE results. So after reading about the "anti-stretch" bullfrog technique, I started experimenting with "plumping" my neck out like a bullfrog. The results were immediate. DFS+ almost without effort. Over the past month, this is how my routine evolved.

Two passes XTG, no stretch or plump. These are N-S and S-N because my neck grows E-W. Then I plump my neck a little, not puffy, fat like a big bullfrog, but just enough to provide a soft, flat surface. I then do a 45° pass (towards ATG) as I finish my third pass on the rest of my face. This provides a consistent DFS+ across my entire neck. To reach BBS, I do a fourth puffy neck pass going as close to ATG as possible, incorporating a little blade buffing or j-hook into the pass. The result is BBS on 80% of the neck area. Another pass or a little additional work can get the last 20% but I usually don't do that.

So how many of you use the bullfrog technique? Or maybe the better question is how many are going to try it?! It takes a little trial and error but I found it well worth the effort!

The thread that started all this (I think) is here. Lots of good input and info there.

It's worth pointing out that many shavers get good results from skin-stretching. However, many--such as myself--do not. For me it's a direct route to irritation. The bullfrogging technique is a great alternative. It also helps you get past the jawline demarcation, which is always troublesome. All you need to do is tilt your head towards the area you're shaving.

I'm forever grateful to the gents here who turned me on to bullfrogging, for it allowed me to get a close shave on my neck without irritation for the first time. I use it every day.

Thanks for bringing it up, Lyle--it's bound to help many new shavers.
Yes. That thread (thanks. Didn't realize it was still active) and several other sources including Mantic59 all helped me realize that the impossible neck BBS may be possible with an adjusted technique. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there that don't benefit from stretching OR bullfrogging!

I agree, tromboneliness, that it's finding what works for you that's important. Stretching just doesn't work for me, or many others, it seems.

I found shooting for BBS every time is not an option with my neck or chin (so far) Since I first started shaving (I learned on a DE years back then and drifted) I have only been doing a traditional wet shave for a month or so. I find I can get a BBS on my face reasonably easy but the neck takes time. Like some here, my beard tends to grow E-W and at varying angles in that configuration. I just did a N-S & S-N Pass on the first two passes today and a little cleanup around the chin and left it there. I don't have any irritation to speak of today but I wonder if I can get used to slight scratchiness and slight shadow around the neck. I think I'll be experimenting for a while yet to reach "wet shave nirvana" and so the search continues :001_smile.

Dedicated bullfrogger here, since reading this very thread back in January. It is the only way for me to shave the jaw/neck transition to DFS or better without razor burn. My beard is wild, ranging from clear to dark brown and has tufts that grow in various directions, on top of being thick and wiry. This technique really cuts it for me.

I read about this technique on another post earlier this week. Tried it out on my next shave and have no intentions of going back to stretching.

Easy technique, great results and less irritation!

Top Bottom