What's new

When Life Gives You a Broken Rubberset 200

Hi gents, It's been quite a while since I've posted on B&B. After my divorce, it was hard to get back into some of the hobbies I had and developed while married. I stayed true to wet shaving, but the whole collecting, restoring, and soap making end of the hobby has only recently returned to me.

I've restored a number of brushes now, but my most recent restoration of a Rubberset 200-2 has been my favorite and proudest so far. I ordered the brush off eBay a couple weeks ago and the listing showed this picture of the brush.

$$_57.jpg

When I received the brush however, this is the state it came in.

$FullSizeRender.jpg

After uttering a few inappropriate words, I decided to email the seller and let him know that the brush came broken. He very kindly told me to keep the brush and refunded me my money. I figured I'd give fixing it a shot since the refund would just about cover a finest knot from TGN. I first cut the old boar hair flush to the opening and then epoxied the handle and clamped it overnight. With the handle "fixed" I drilled out the old knot and filled the handle on the inside with a mixture of epoxy and birdshot to reinforce and add weight to the handle. I also polished the black top of the handle with sandpaper, Maas, and polishing compound.

This was probably the most complex brush restoration I've done, but also the most fun! Here's the finished brush. You can see the crack in the handle still, but it's not a big deal for me.

Pre-Bloom

$IMG_1797.jpg

De-Funking Lather

$IMG_1798.jpg

Post-Bloom

$IMG_1799.jpg

Top Bottom