What's new

Newbie DE .

A long time electric (rotary blade) user. My electric of 14 years is slowly falling apart, charger wires show signs of breakage. A rechargable electric is extremely thrifty -- my gross estimate is 100W per month for charging --> 1200W per year and at $0.30 KW/h, makes it $0.43 per year. I never change the blades and sharpen them on my #8000 stone, DIY a eneloop AA battery in several years back. Once the charger dies, I will mod a AAA holder and use my electric as backup.

Just did my first DE shave yesterday, merkur progress (at +1) with factory DE blade (omega 10086 and nivea mild) .
1 pass on the sides and 3 chin/neck, resultant 1 nick on the chin. Luckily no rash or red spots (other than the nick) but skin on the chin and neck burns with alum stick .

Hopefully my skin will get used to a blade after a while ....

Any hints for a newbie ?

Thanks,

Hi there. I don't think your skin will get used to DE shaving, but your technique will certainly improve and that makes a big difference. Just remember to keep the pressure right down, so the blade is just in contact with your skin.

Hello and welcome to B&B, eawtan. This is a super forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You will learn a lot here.

Welcome to the brotherhood of B&B! Blade angle and pressure are my only suggestions and I keep them in my mind as I continue my DE shaving journey. Good luck!

Hello, welcome to B&B! Here's a good place to start reading:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Getting_started_wetshaving

Remember, no pressure, and to find the right blade angle, start with the cap flat against your skin and lower the handle until you can feel the blade engaging the whiskers, as seen here:

full

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Welcome! My hints are always the same ... prep, prep, and prep. Lots of hydration and good lather.

Purchase a blade sampler pack, the one blade that comes with the razor usually isn't as sharp as it could be.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Be sure to watch the YouTube videos by Mantic59, Geofatboy, and others for some good video tutorials.

Welcome! My hints are always the same ... prep, prep, and prep. Lots of hydration and good lather.
Purchase a blade sampler pack, the one blade that comes with the razor usually isn't as sharp as it could be.

Thanks all, I will work on my technique and take the effort to prep properly. Just that my blade sampler pack has yet to arrive .... just trying out the standard blade first . I find the chin portion the most difficult due to the various curves .

Thanks all,

3rd shave on the factory blade and no nicks, less soreness. Any suggestions when to stop using the factory blade ? I like to make the best out of everything, no point throwing out a blade when it still has some life left ....
My blade sampler has finally arrived .. current plan is to use the cheapest blade first and slowly progress upwards .

Top Bottom