What's new

How do you guys lather a short loft silvertip?

I have a custom Elite razor brush that has a 48mm loft and a 22mm knot. I've had it for quite awhile but I have trouble lathering soaps with it too me it's to soft.

Anyone who has a similar brush how do you lather with it?

Thanks

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Load with more water in the brush in the beginning. Marco method works great with very soft brushes. Most of my favorite soaps are very easy to lather with any brush, also, like MdC and ABC. I can still get a lather explosion with hard to lather soaps like MWF or Mike's, though. It just takes a bit of dialing in.

Thanks for the tips

I usually use the Marco method on all my soaps but it seems that the lather isn't creamy enough. The next time I use this brush I'll just load with it longer. I love the look and feel of this brush but sometimes I just can't get it to lather with some soaps.

I try both face and bowl lather to see which one works the best.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I purely face lather and don't have any issues with softer brushes, although when I first used a really soft silvertip I felt that it was too soft as well. I bough a bunch of boars and really dense badgers but I've learned to appreciate the soft stuff more lately. It just takes some practice. Loading a bit longer will likely solve your issue.

I use a 22 x 50 mm silvertip, which is about a mm short of being floppy. It has taken me some time and practice to get the best lather from my hard soaps. I soak triple-milled hard soaps in hot water while I shower, and dunk the softer hard soaps into hot water for a minute before I gather for my lather. I still have a couple of soaps where I need to up my game.

The Marco Method is very cool, as it ensures that I will use enough water to start with.

I bowl-lather exclusively; I have face-lathered, but I have had better results with a boar brush. With my bowl, I have better mastery of my lather, to misquote Julia Child.

One tip. A first, I needed to hold the brush by the base of the bristles, just above the handle. This gave me enough backbone to easily pick up enough soap to whip it up.

I would say that you should try to start of with a drier brush. A "dry" brush is stiffer than a "wet" one (even a silvertip) and picks up soap better. A silvertip usually holds a ton of water so if you use really wet brush on a tripple milled soap for example I think it will have problems picking up soap!

I have some good boars and I use those when I rotate around to any of my hard soaps. Even with those, soaking the puck ahead of time helps a lot.

I have two main brushes in my rotation, a M&F Chief and a Rooney Heritage Stubby 2XL. The Chief has no trouble breaking into any soap I've tried, but the Rooney is a little soft for some of the harder ones. My modus operandi is to put roughly an 1/8 inch of water on top of the puck and let it soak while I shower. Once out of the shower, I load for only about 15-20 seconds, if that. I have noticed that I don't waste a ton of soap, and I can shake out my brush pretty thoroughly and have a fairly nice dry pickup while lathering. I used to soak the whole puck, but it seemed to slowly wear away at the rest of the puck and shorten the lifespan of the soap. Just my two cents. Best of luck!

Last edited:
A bit of water on the soap + more loading. My softer silvertip brushes don't pick up as much soap per...swirl(?) as the boars and finest badgers , so it just takes a few seconds more work

How long do you load your brush for? I have never had any issue with any brush if I have loaded it long enough.
I had a Simpsons Wee Scot and an Omega Mighty Midget and had no issues with lathering both brushes.
Try loading for longer than you would usually do. Good luck.

I usually load for 45 secs tops but I've loaded around a minute before. I haven't used my silvertip in awhile so I need to just experiment more.

I wouldn't load with a less than well soaked brush. If the hairs aren't well soaked they could break. Instead, pinch the bottom of the knot as you're loading to make it firmer. Pre-soaking the soap puck with a few drops of water helps too.

brush that has a 48mm loft and a 22mm knot.

The majority of my silvertips-super-best-finest-pure badgers are 45-48mm height loft
I don't want more height and there is no a special treatment.
Not too much soaking in water and 45-60sec soap loading.

Plenty of good advice already given. I just want to add that 22/48 should not generally be considered a short loft. Many aim for a 2:1 ratio loft to diameter to achieve a solid backbone for face lathering. This is a good base ratio and then you can add loft to go softer or diameter to go stiffer. In the case of 22/48, it has some added loft which explains your feeling that it is very soft.

I'll be using the brush Tomorrow and I'll experiment on different techniques to see which works best.

BTW I'm using Stirling tea tree for the soap.

I have a custom Elite razor brush that has a 48mm loft and a 22mm knot. I've had it for quite awhile but I have trouble lathering soaps with it too me it's to soft.

Thanks

I'm very new to badger brushes and came here to post a similar question tonight. I have been trying to do some of the advice given, but will keep working on it for now. If I can't dial it in, I'll be back with more data and questions!. I like the look and feel of my new badgers, but I have to say, the SOC boar was effortless...

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I'm very new to badger brushes and came here to post a similar question tonight. I have been trying to do some of the advice given, but will keep working on it for now. If I can't dial it in, I'll be back with more data and questions!. I like the look and feel of my new badgers, but I have to say, the SOC boar was effortless...

If you're new to badgers entirely, it will definitely take some practice. They lather very differently. I would just stick with nothing but the badger for a while until you get it down. I love my SOC, it doesn't give up anything to my badgers in performance, but for the sake of dialing in the badger so that you can really see what it has to offer that's what I'd do for a while.

Top Bottom