What's new

Nib Acquisitions November 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
We saw some great acquisitions last month -- some huge bottles of ink and giant pens.

I think we'll see some more big things here this month as well ... bring it on!

Let's see what you got.

Found these two in Ogunquit, ME. The Snorkel was in a display case surrounded by lots of the typical stuff. The Parker 51 Vac was in a glass mug sitting out in the open on a shelf. It was surround by lots of old pencils and broken pens. (fountain pens and old ball points) Probably paid a bit too much for the Snorkel but the Parker was a bargain. It was a fair deal when the two were combined.

Danny Fudge put both of them back into great working condition. The nibs are both smooth, easy writers. The Snorkel has a gold medium nib. The Parker 51 has a gold fine point nib. Danny adjusted both of them so they lay down a wet line.

Both of these pens are keepers. They will get a lot of use. The plastic on both pens show normal wear but no abuse. The cap on the Parker 51 Vac is pristine. The clip is a bit off the mark by a degree or so. They write like brand new pens in perfect working order.

$DSCN1371 - Snorkle and Limerick.jpg

$DSCN1369 - Parker 51 Vac and Limerick.jpg

The Parker 51 has a visible number written on the barrel. It looks like an old fashion 1. Take away the horizontal line at the base of this 1 and you'll have a good idea of the number's shape. It looks like its the Cedar Blue version.

The Snorkel is easy to color code. It's very black. I can color code black all day long. :001_smile

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I thought the date code 1 would make it a double jewel. Where is brianw, AKA Mr."51"?

Great pens, I bet you're happy! Congrats!

I am happy with these two. They are great writers.

You're right, Brian will probably have something good to add. If the cap doesn't match the barrel it could be they didn't start out together. The button under the blind cap is made of plastic. That might narrow down things a bit.

I thought the date code 1 would make it a double jewel. Where is brianw, AKA Mr."51"?

Great pens, I bet you're happy! Congrats!

Both very fine pens, Bob. They're both classics and Danny does great work bringing them back to peak operating condition. Enjoy them!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414970598.864782.jpg my pens from Toronto Scriptus included some model of Onoto. A crescent filler Stipula, an ice model from Franklin Christoph, a Pen case used but for $25 not too bad. A new BB nib for an M400. I had my old Pelikan nib tuned. And sold a hardly ever used midi Visconti Homo Sapien steel to finance it. The ink will be opened later.

I never found the guys from Ajax and 'shwa but it was crowded.

Picked up a two pen case in a seconds bin for $10. Best thing is it fits all four of my lens. :) . Also got something as a present for swmbo but I can't post what just in case she decides to read this. :p

Cheers

M.

These 5 showed up in the all in the last few days. this takes me yet deeper into the cheap pen world. the two on the right are Wing Sung NOS 590's. I was really looking forward to them as I like big pens, but the nibs leave something to be desired (big surprise I know). I am finding that I just like finer nibs, and fine these are not. the one that I inked up is a very big medium, but I dont know that I would call it a broad at all, although I have never used one so I really have to comparison. it even sings a little, if that makes any sense. if only it had a finer nib, this thing would be my dedicated desk pen for sure, I just don't know where I would get a fine nib for it. I heard that you could stuff a #6 nib in it, but I tried that and it would only go in most of the way, and the nib and feed were obviously hanging too far out.

the other three were a package deal; three Hero 616 jumbo's. after ordering these I saw some bad press about these pens, and that even they as repro's of the Parker 51 are being copied at an alarming rate, so I was worried that these were the copies. I am glad to say that I very much believe these are the real (real repro's that is) deal. I inked up the black one (there was a black, red and "green") with Noodlers black eel and was very please at both how smooth and fine the nib. if the real parker 51 writes anything like this, I may just have to go on a hunt for the real McCoy.

anyway, I know these are nothing to gawk at, but they're new, they're mine and they write!

one other thing.......they are all sac fillers and..........THEY STINK!
$20141103_211452.jpg

I just got a pilot metropolitan with a fine nib and some noodles black ink. Just starting out with fountain pens. Thought this would be a good starting point.

so David, what's your next pen going to be ?, big crystal? pilot G2, one of those black chained pens at the bank ?

Legion

Staff member
so David, what's your next pen going to be ?, big crystal? pilot G2, one of those black chained pens at the bank ?

Nope, that's me done for a while. That was my grail pen.

I haven't had FPAD for a while now. In fact, I will now probably shed most of the ones I own, except a few workhorses. Getting the "grail item" is a good incentive to minimise.

Picked this little guy up at the pen show. I still left with more money and less pens in my pocket than what I showed up with. :)

A leaky Pelikan 140 is going on trip to Pennsylvania to spend some time with Ron Zorn. He was unable to get the pen apart to fix the seal at the show. Richard Binder's nib grinding list filled up too quick for me to get a new nib ground. Oh well.

Rick Propas table is evil evil evil. Renewed the interest in 400 mm tortoise for me.

Don't get me started in the Edison pens. That table is dangerous!

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1415489678420.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1415489678420.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 113
Rick Propas table is evil evil evil. Renewed the interest in 400 mm tortoise for me.
I assume you're talking about the Pelikan 400NN Tortoise? I succumbed to its siren call at the DC show last August. I got one with the Oblique Fine nib, but I'm actually wishing I had gone with a standard nib rather than the oblique. It's flexy as hell (which I like), but my normal writing style is straight up and down, and I just haven't gotten the hang of writing with an oblique nib.

Yes 400nn phone changed it to mm. The brownish red tortoise just looks nice.

Doug posting About his black Pens makes me kind of want a 600 or 800 in all black...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom