What's new

Which shavette should i buy - Help me please

Hello,

I`m not sure is this is the right subforum to post this in but I`ll post this here (can`t find a better place).
I`m considering buying a shavette but i can`t chose which one Antiga Barbearia

$Antiga-barbearia-bairro-abb-navalha-barbeiro-navalhete-shavette-straight-razor-10-800x800.jpg
or Sanguine XD20

$Red_XD2_Razors_3.jpg

The Antiga is double the price of the Sanguine so my question is - Is it worth the splurge.
I would also love some opinions from people who used one of those two shavettes.

Thanks in advance!

Georgi

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Welcome to B&B!!

The Sanguine is a nice one, and the little jimps feel nice as well. It has the same style blade locking mechanism as a Parker, so that's a big plus. I am not sure of the locking mechanism on the Antiga, if it is just a push-on cap or hinged like the Sanguine. Having used the Sanguine before, it gets my vote.

The Antiga`s hadle is made of one piece of steel split at the end where u put the blade. The top cap is removable (its not hinged). Sanguine looks nice with plastic or wood scales. It is also under 10 GBP shipped. while the antiga is 20+. To note the Sanguine comes with a pouch and a pack of Wilkinson Swords

Last edited:
I have a few shavettes including the two you mention.

The Antiga is a little more compact than the Sanguine and I like the thumb notch. It is very easy to maneuver about the face. The scales are nice wood of some sort. The Sanguine is easier to load with a blade as the saftey is hinged. The Sanguine R4 is similar to the model you selected and has wood scales too which IMO is a plus.

You might like the Universal Shavette available through Doc in the vendors forum. It has become one of my favorite shavettes. It takes a whole DE blade rather than the half blades. The weight and balance are terrific.

However, with proper technique, they will all give you good service.

Welcome to the straight forum. Take a look at the Parker straights. They're well made, shave nice, and they won't break the bank getting one. Any of the Parker's are good.

Welcome to the straight forum. Take a look at the Parker straights. They're well made, shave nice, and they won't break the bank getting one. Any of the Parker's are good.
I like the Parker srx and the universal half bladeI I do not like either the Antiga Barbearia or the IBC,i am trying out the Sedef the Turkish barbers use,extreemly light super close shave though,maybe too much blade exposure,but the mechanism holds the lblade very firmly,a learning curve loading you have to break off the side tabs of the blade before sliding the blade in and thats not easy to start.The Parker srx is lovely with a very light touch holding the razor,the same with the Universal half blade,The Universal full blade has the same blade exposure as the Sedef and shave super close,the Antiga Barbearia doesnt feal the mechanism is holding the blade firmly enough probably is just do not like it..Bought a sedef off ebay for $2-99 free delivery ,maybe you need to be quite skilled,a professional tool i think.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Of the two, I would go with the Sanguine. It is quite popular here. However, my goto shavette is the cheapie sold by Sallys, under the "Magic Razor" brand. Get two. That way when you snap a blade in two, you have a place for both halves.

Top Bottom