What's new

I won an auction I did not expect to win.

Now what do I do?

It looks like a REAL beat up WWI razor.

It has a crack along the handle and the part where the handle and base place come together has come apart, now its a 4 piece razor.

I THINK I can post a link to a completed auction. (If not please slap my wist and delete this part of my post.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gillette-WW...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I read somewhere on this site that these cracks can be fixed, but can the handle be reattached?

Not sure if I want to keep the case or not, there seems to be ALOT of WWI razors out there and mine is no museum piece. I do believe the razor has "Property of U.S. Army inscribed so it will make a cool addition to my collection.

So is there a way to reattach, and fix the cracks? Should I keep the case?

Thanks............Inari7

Hi,

I have won things i didn't want before also. At least you were aren't spending a lot.

Crack is very repariable. Here is best thread for that: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...cked-handles-shafts-in-Gillette-Old-Types-etc

When you do the crack repair, just epoxy the head end of the handle as well. No big deal. The handle fix is easy and fun.

The case - definitely totally roached out and probably worthless. I am not sure if I would keep it or not, but I really hate to be the one who throws away an item that has survived this long.

Nice score for the price.

Good luck.

nice score. just as said before, now that others are talking up other razors on here, the ones out of the loop, to say at this moment, can be had for much better prices. the adjustables can be had now for the same price as NEWs. i usually just sand down the ends real good, then clamp the crack shut with a wooden vice, then make sure the ends fit into the handle with that crack being clamped shut, once they do, then just jb-weld em in. there are also other methods to do it as well.

It is a Gillette Khaki Set case, but the razor looks like a Probak to me. Someone with a better monitor than I might weigh in on that. If so, it still might be a cool addition to your collection, or you might find someone to take it off your hands. Good luck

It is a Gillette Khaki Set case, but the razor looks like a Probak to me. Someone with a better monitor than I might weigh in on that. If so, it still might be a cool addition to your collection, or you might find someone to take it off your hands. Good luck
you may be right about that. i think it says probak under the base plate. it is hard to read though.

you may be right about that. i think it says probak under the base plate. it is hard to read though.

Nope ... it says Property of US Army as seen here and same that says on the case:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...elongs-in-the-Khaki-set?p=3278121#post3278121

proxy.php

Haha, I've won a few auctions by accident. I need to be careful mixing eBay with intoxicating elixirs. :001_tt2:
At least you got a good razor for a good price. I have fixed many cracked handles using the method mentioned by BSA.
Enjoy the shaves!

Thanks for all the links, there were very helpful!!

I just did not expect to get a WWI razor so cheap. I've wanted one for a while just for the historical significance of this razor. And to shave with it. :001_smile

Top Bottom