What's new

selecting a young scent

morning gents,
As i have no access to many of the popular soaps due to retail stores in my aria just not keeping them (Canberra, Australia) i was hoping to get a recommendation on a good quality soap with a young scent as im 25 and although i was considering just pairing tabac with old spice and just smelling like a sir a few generations my senior id like to hear your opinions. my main concern is the performance of the soap and the fragrance second, id consider a very mild or unscented soap as well, currently im only using proraso green.

kind regards.

Have you looked online?? I would suggest checking out Maggard Razor's website as I know they ship internationally. LOTS of stuff to choose from, great customer service, etc. Their own brand of soap is great and they have a ton of others to choose from as well...some favorites Synergy, PPF, Soap Commander, Catie's Bubbles, Dapper Dragon.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i think i just have to pull the trigger and buy something.. ill probably go with TOBS jermyn st hard to pick on a scent online...

There's nothing wrong with smelling like a sir.

My experience is limited, but I second looking at Maggards. They have a wide variety of product and you can build samplers before you buy an entire tub of cream.

the issue i run into is the cost of freight often results in a 15-20 dollar soap costing effectively double that. that's what i get for living in the colonies

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
TOBS Jermyn Street came to my mind right away. I feel like any Fougere would be a good pick honestly. I'm 25 myself but I also kind of like the older style scents.

Is there a smarty-pants department store in Canberra that you can get do? Here in the US, the men's departments of said stores usually have big sample selections of many different scents. Try out a few, from different scent "families." Then you will hopefully find sort of where you "fit." Either pick something up in the store or start researching and then buying on-line.

no im afraid not smarty pants closed here about a decade ago and even then it was only a clothing store. i do also enjoy older scents for work as in pushing for advancment and everything helps, so i might get some tabac aswell as the TOBS jermyn. the proraso is giving good results but im not loving the feel.

Last edited:
Nivea cream in a tube is a young scent and you can get it at most chain Pharmocie for like $4.37 USD. I would think it would be sold were you are at.

I first used the scent I still use when I was kid in high school: 4711. Right now, I use 4711 soap as my shower soap. And I use 4711 cologne (not the aftershave, which I've never used) as an after-shave splash. It is the classic cologne scent; it doesn't last very long. I'm still looking for shaving products with this or similar scents.

How do you feel about citrus scents? Pinaud Lime Sec is a nice cologne/aftershave that doesn't smell stuffy. For non-citrus, Aqua Velva Ice Sport aftershave doesn't smell old to me either. For creams/soaps, I think you have more freedom of scent since you probably won't be smelling it after your shave.

PMFJI...

I'm curious about the focus on fragrance of shaving soaps. Once the shave is done, and the face is thoroughly rinsed, and AS splash and/or balm is applied...isn't the soap fragrance pretty much gone?

I do like a good-smelling soap whilst I am shaving, but I don't seem to smell it after the full post-shave ritual.

Comments?

Any of the Italian TFS soaps maybe? I think scents like the Tobacco Verde, and the linea tradizionale Barba Gialla. And if you like sweet scents, there are many choices in the linea intenso.

Any of the Italian TFS soaps maybe? I think scents like the Tobacco Verde, and the linea tradizionale Barba Gialla. And if you like sweet scents, there are many choices in the linea intenso.
Good call; my all-time favorite soap is (today) TFS Bergamotto Neroli Forte. Not the cream, but the hard soap.

thanks for the advice gents, ill check out some boutique stores in some of the more up market arias and might just get lucky.
interesting that you guys dont notice your shave soap scent once you have finished shaving, for me unless i put on additional cologne i can smell the proraso through my nivia post shave balm most of the day, not hugely but the scent if definitely there. i dont mind citrus but i have to also find a suitable cologne to tie it all together.

David Jones has a store in Canberra Centre, a.k.a. Civic (?). Give them a clang on the old Ameche and see if they have men's cologne/aftershave sampler sprays. I bet they do. There is also a Myer store in the same mall; call them up as well!

When I think young scent, I think TOBS Eton College, immediately. And it comes as as full lineup including a cologne. I found an AU site that sells the shave cream for $24 inclusive of shipping (link), but for the price you might break even ordering from Maggard Razors since you can get a few more things from them to make the shipping more effective.

Last edited:
You could always Jose yourself down with Axe.

I kid.

I've been enjoying soap scented soaps. Arko is at the top for me. Aftershave I have been using bay rums. The soap doesn't linger at all - except as smelling 'clean' which I wouldn't say is age defining.

PMFJI...

I'm curious about the focus on fragrance of shaving soaps. Once the shave is done, and the face is thoroughly rinsed, and AS splash and/or balm is applied...isn't the soap fragrance pretty much gone?

I do like a good-smelling soap whilst I am shaving, but I don't seem to smell it after the full post-shave ritual.

Comments?

+1 I love the scents of my shaving soaps, and I don't expect them to last past the shave itself. Then it's on to aftershave or whatever.

Top Bottom