What's new

Is this a '47 Super Speed or earlier

I picked this up at local antique store for a pittance. It was covered with brown oxidation. After cleaning, boiling in water with vinegar, then scrubbing bubbles, and finally with Nevr-Dull this is the result. (Note some water stains, it's a wonderful shaver.) I was wondering; it looks as though it's a '47 Super Speed, but could it be an earlier model? $P1040692a1.jpg$P1040693a1.jpg$P1040694a1.jpg$P1040695a1.jpg$P1040696a1.jpg

Thanks for your excellent expert opinions.

Not sure if boiling razors in Vinegar is a good idea, I think that will remove the plating.

Mothers Mag polish should shine it up nicely, you can get it from an auto store or Walmart.

It was a 60-40 mixture Of water to vinegar. It didn't seem to hurt the plating at all, but it did help loosen the brown oxididation quite a bit. Why looks like brass showing through is really reflection from the table.

It was a 60-40 mixture Of water to vinegar. It didn't seem to hurt the plating at all, but it did help loosen the brown oxididation quite a bit. Why looks like brass showing through is really reflection from the table.

I didn't notice brass showing, many have said boiling water is too hot. Another experimented with boiling water and vinegar and it removed the plating.

I have success with Simple Green, soaked razors for hours, even over night without a problem. Not good for gold plated razors though.

Nice razor. As others have said - no boiling water and if you use vinegar, only sparingly and wash after application. Don't let a razor soak in vinegar, that's bad juju for the plating.

Good looking razor. Any before pics?
Unfortunately,in my haste to put the razor into use, I neglected to take any before pictures. It was really brown though. SWMBO said. "You're not going to shave with that thing are you?"

Nice razor. As others have said - no boiling water and if you use vinegar, only sparingly and wash after application. Don't let a razor soak in vinegar, that's bad juju for the plating.
I had it on a low simmer but when finished, washed it immediately with lots of water.

Top Bottom