What's new

Shaving under the nose

I find that the 3 piece safety razors provide much better access under the nose than the TTO razors. I use my old type razor as it has the flattest head and gets all the under the nose hairs.

Right under the nose is the only place I go against the grain and do a little blade buffing. I am a two pass kind of guy. I go with the grain all over, then across the grain. Under my nose I go with the grain, then against the grain. With the against the grain pass I put the razor right up against my nose and do short little up and down motions (blade buffing) to get those hard to reach hairs. I will use my other hand to pull my nose up and/or to the side to make sure the razor can get up in there and get those last pesky hairs.

With most 3 or 2 piece DE razors it is easy to get a close shave under the nose. I use first a down stroke then finish with upstroke.

How do you shave under the nose with a safety razor?

wtg, xtg, atg. During the atg pass, under the nose, i start moving my head up and down with my eyes closed and use head movements to shave against the razor-head as opposed to moving the razor with my arm. Works pretty wel for me.

First pass is WTG, N-S. Then I start in middle and go out on each side. Use off hand to make a piggy-nose and also some embarassing "shaving faces" and done. Not really a pretty process, but effective.

Just move/bend it to either side with your free hand if you really need to. I haven't had any issues and need to do this any longer, but it does help.

Blade buffing. If I feel like the blade is performing well then I'll roll my lip under and do it. BBS!

Experiment with the suggestions you've received above, and find your own best way to get at this tricky area. I like blade buffing and going ATG, that's what works best for me. I also blade buff while going XTG.

You need to do the first *** properly, take your time. Then the other passes will go very easy.

I pull my nose off to the side and shave slightly outwards to the corner of my mouth. Right against my nose I do a slight roll in my stroke to bring the blade a little closer at the base of my nose/nostrils

Top Bottom