What's new

Barrister and Mann Fougèere -Aromatique or Imperiale ?

Hi Gents,

I just tried to find some detailed review for these 2 B&M soaps...in vain.
Before I'd buy both......would someone be kind enough to let us know how do they differ from a scent stanpoint ?

Apologees if this has been already treated in the forum and best thanks.:001_smile

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting Will directly? In my experience, he gets right back to us when we do. On their website it looks like he will offer us a choice of vegan or tallow so you might ask about that at the same time. If you do, please pass the word along.

Fougère Imperiale is similar to Houbigant's Royal Fougère and Penhaligon's English Fern. Its a more traditional fougère. Aromatique is inspired by MDCI Invasion Barbare, which is a very bright, slightly more "perfumey" scent. Between the two, I prefer Aromatique; I like it so much that I've been contemplating purchasing a whole $250 bottle of Invasion Barbare. Both of them are fantastic though - really good stuff IMHO.

Fougère Imperiale is similar to Houbigant's Royal Fougère and Penhaligon's English Fern. Its a more traditional fougère. Aromatique is inspired by MDCI Invasion Barbare, which is a very bright, slightly more "perfumey" scent. Between the two, I prefer Aromatique; I like it so much that I've been contemplating purchasing a whole $250 bottle of Invasion Barbare. Both of them are fantastic though - really good stuff IMHO.

Thanks Christopher,
are they very different or is it just a nuance like for example Seville and Cheshire ?

I would say that they're just different enough to justify having both. But there is definitely a common thread running between the two.

EDIT TO ADD: Personally, though, I would rather have two jars of Aromatique instead of one of each. Aromatique is pretty unique, Imperiale is, as I said, similar to some other traditional fougère scents. As always, YMMV; this is just how I feel personally.

Last edited:
I would say that they're just different enough to justify having both. But there is definitely a common thread running between the two.

EDIT TO ADD: Personally, though, I would rather have two jars of Aromatique instead of one of each. Aromatique is pretty unique, Imperiale is, as I said, similar to some other traditional fougère scents. As always, YMMV; this is just how I feel personally.

I'll go for Aromatique then!

Merci !

Just to chime in, I bought both from the original batch with the intention of selling on the one I liked the least. Somehow the one I like the best depends on which one I smell first. The Imperial is more a classic and pungent scent and the Aromatic is brighter and rounder. The former really sticks around post shave while the latter can be detected for a couple hours.

In the end I never sold the second jar because I really like them both. If Will was ever on the fence about producing one or the other, I can understand why he went ahead with both. They are both cologne quality scents and different enough to own both and be in the mood for one or the other depending on your mood.

Last edited:
Just to chime in, I bought both from the original batch with the intention of selling on the one I liked the least. Somehow the one I like the best depends on which one I smell first. The Imperial is more a classic and pungent scent and the Aromatic is brighter and rounder. The former really sticks around post shave while the latter can be detected for a couple hours.

In the end I never sold the other one because I like them both. If Will was ever on the fence about producing one or the other, I can understand why he went ahead with both. They are both cologne quality scents and different enough to own both.

Thanks !
You just advised me to spend more money tomorrow :laugh:

Been waiting months for the to bring them back. Ordered a tallow Aromiatique this morning almost as soon as they showed up on the site.

The SAD monster struck again, and I ordered both (tallow). I do believe that this will be my final soap purchase for quite a while - at least that's what I say today.

Top Bottom