What's new

Pure Badger vs. Best Badger

I watched a video that says the difference between pure and best is pretty big. I have two pure badger brushes (Rooney and Vulfix) and i'm pretty happy with them. I want to buy a badger brush of better grade (wet shaver syndrome) but i don't want to spend any money if the difference isn't there. I generally face lather but every now and then i bowl lather. I also have a Plisson Synthetic and a Semogue 620.

My questions are: difference between badger hair grades and recomendations

Thank you for your answers

Generally speaking, pure knots are less dense and have more scritch than the other knot grades. If you were to upgrade from Rooney pure to Rooney super (I don't think you can find Rooney best anymore), you are going to get a noticeably softer and more dense knot. I have no experience with Vulfix....
There are noticeable differences between knot grades, but it is personal preference whether you will enjoy the characteristics of one grade vs another. For example, some prefer Simpsons best over Simpsons super which is more expensive.

Also, moving from a Rooney pure to a Rooney best (assuming you can find one) would produce a noticeable difference. But, there aren't really great guidelines for badger grades, so moving from a Rooney pure to some other brand's best might not actually be a move forward.

If you find a silvertip badger knot, that would almost always be an "improvement". I don't have any best badger brushes anymore, but it is a nice grade nonetheless, just didn't show the qualities I want. If you want something different, maybe jump past best badger and invest in either a finest/two-band brush or a silvertip/three-band for a noticeable difference.

Now that you put it in terms of softness and density, i'm looking for a badger brush more dense. The softness of my badger brushes is ok for me but the density, i prefer more.

There can be a wide variance within grade. Rooney Pure may be better than someone else's Pure.

I'm not likely to buy another Pure. The ones I have had tend to be too scritchy for me. I have one Best. It is scrubby, or perhaps lightly scritchy. Its firmness works very well with harder soaps.

My personal opinion though is that generally you don't want to go below Finest. There is a range within Finest as well. At the higher end of Finest you have a brush with lots of backbone that still has the face feel softness that approaches or is equal to Silvertip. Finest is most certainly worth the expense above both Pure and Best.

YMMV

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Go to The Superior Shave website; Jerod describes in some detail the pure, best and other grades of Simpson brushes.

I have a pure knot from TGN thats dense and has great backbone. The pure knot is a little more pokey/scritchy than best generally.

Rooney Pure & Rooney Super.
Sorry the color is way off in this cell phone pic.
$IMAG1012-1.jpg

Top Bottom