What's new

40 years ago today

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Seems like yesterday.

$4UAP021.jpg

In Kinshasa, Zaire, Muhammad Ali regains the heavyweight championship by defeating George Foreman.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
That was a hoax, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I was 10 and went with my friend to his dads shop to watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Ali, bomaye! Ali, bomaye!"

My favorite sports chant of all time!!!!

I've watched that fight and "When we were Kings" more times then I can remember as well as read a few books on it.

I was only 1 when it happened, so wasn't around to see or experience it first hand.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I was watching Foreman talk about this fight. Ali kept asking him "Is that all you got, George?". Foreman said near the end he thought to himself "Yep, that's about it".

I remember seeing this three or four weeks later on Wide World of Sports. Those were the days when the only way to see it as it happened was "closed circuit tv" viewings at places like Maple Leaf Gardens. Closed circuit tv sounded so alien back then, and the fact that you had to pay to watch tv? What idiot would want to pay for the privilege of watching tv? Failing that, you'd wait until it was shown a month later on Wide World. Yeah, you knew how it ended, but you watched it anyway. The boxing and Harlem Globetrotters were my favourites on Wide World of Sports...funny enough, you watched the Globetrotters even though you also knew how those games ended...with the Generals getting spanked, again.

Listened to it live on the radio and remember it quite well. The PPV of the day was buying tickets at our local coliseum and watching it on a big screen live.

Top Bottom