What's new

Who is your favorite artisan maker based on both scent and performance?

There are a lot of artisan makers out there these days. 3 years ago, I tried to keep up with them. Since the number has exploded the past couple of years, I just can't, seeing as I have enough soap to last me 50 years.

Performance is very important, and I will admit I have high standards. But scent is important too. I personally prefer unique, complex, and engaging scents. Think Pennhaligons, or C&S.

For those of you who have tested quite a few of them, which one is you favorite and why?

In terms of scent maggards soap. In terms of performance B&M. In terms of both scent and performance taking into conversation razorock

I've tried to keep up with them as best I can, I appreciate the difficulty in keeping up to date.

- For me, the only one of the new soaps that really separates itself from the pack is Barrister and Mann.

- Not sure if you think of Queen Charlotte Soaps as new or not, they didn't exist when we first joined B&B and their shaving soaps weren't sold until just a few years ago. Actually, not sure of Matthew was born when we joined B&B:lol: Anyway, I put them on par with B&M.

- The only unknown for me is RazoRock. This group brings out so many new soaps and different soap lines that it is near impossible to keep up. On all accounts, their P.160 relaunch soap is very good. I intend to buy some when next I buy.

- Beyond that, you should buy a puck or two of the new Valobra line.

Cold River Soap Works
RazoRock
Stirling

I also have Rustic and Beer soap brewing company on the way. Cant wait to test those out

B&M Lavanille is my current favorite.
Mike's Hungarian lavender is another.
I'm appreciating QCS Queen Charlotte more and more.

I'm liking my QCS soap and cream more each time I use the. I have been, I must admit, disappointed by the artisan soaps I've used. I have a very limited scent palette that appeals, and I need to try a bunch more artisan soaps; my Restrain ends in exactly 24 hours.

For me, Mama Bear and Synergy are neck-and-neck for First Place. I think Synergy is better complex-scent-wise, but in terms of performance it's a photo-finish. Out of the QCS soaps I've tried, the only one I liked all-around was Fougere, and even then it's still take-it-or-leave-it. Stirling's Bay Rum recently made it into my rotation as a toss-in in a purchase I recently made, and it was pretty darn spectacular.

I would like to try finding some animal-fat tallow-based artisan soaps to try, but like so many others I don't think it is particularly necessary. I have enough soaps to last a decade, and that is without being frugal. I may just pick up some more RazoRock if I feel lazy.

Tough question

In terms of numbers of scents that I really love from an artisan whose soaps perform at the top level, that'd be between Razorock and Barrister & Mann. Fav scents from them are (respectively) P160, XXX, Mudder Focker, Fine and Nocturne, Roam, Dickens, Winter Spice.

Some favorite single scents from artisans whose soaps I think perform on a similar level to the above mentioned

Strop Shoppe Baker Street
Panna Crema Labdano
LA Shaving Fougere and Bespoke
Stirling MITA

So many quality soaps around. I believe that I am pickier about scents than most. I don't like sweet scents. I don't like scents that linger. So while I think Maggard makes an awesome soap, only 2 of the scents would make the list. Same with Cold River. Their Lavender is awesome but I found both their Almond and Citrus to be overpowering. Here goes:

Maggard Lime/Bergamot or BarberShop
Cold River Select Lavender
B&M Unscented(great soapy scent.)
LASS Lavender

Maria Arman for President

I'm still searching for that magic combination among the various artisan soap makers but financially I had to apply the brakes after buying some Stirling, Mike's, Barrister & Mann, and Queen Charlotte.

So many soaps, so little time... :laugh:

My current artisan top performers with top scents include:

Wickham's English Rose & English Lavender
Cold River Soap Works Select Sandalwood
Stone Cottage Hesperide and Vanilla & Vetiver Creams

hoping to get the upcoming B&M Fougere tomorrow.

Top Bottom