What's new

Site and DE Shaving Newbie, reporting!

Greetings one and all.

I used to cartridge shave many moons ago, but for the last several years, my job and life have been so casual that nary a blade has touched my skin -- only guard-free trimmers to give me that "i can't bother to fully shave" look.

I tell you: there's nothing like being laid off to cause a man to review his approach to facial hair...

So after reading many posts at artofmanliness and here, I've bought my first DE razor and am getting ready for my first shave. I'm starting slow (e.g. cheap, because I have no job) so there's no brush on the horizon. I've got a 1958 Gillette D3 Flare Tip Super Speed ($14 shipped, thanks eBay!), some HEB store-brand blades, and a selection of shaving cream samples from various body and health care shops.

Wish me luck, gents!

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your shaves. However, I would highly suggest you get some good brush-less cream such as Kiss My Face cream to aid in your first shave. Best of luck.

Welcome to the B & B forum! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Welcome to B&B! Sounds like you got yourself a Gillette TV Special, congrats. Next up: a brush!

Welcome and good luck. There's a lot great advice to be found on B&B, and a lot of very affordable ways to enjoy DE shaving.

Well, more than a month later -- shame on me! Thank you all for the warm welcomes!

@celestino -- right you are :) luckily, my wife surprised me with a Body Shop Maca Root setup including Scrub, Shave Cream, and Razor Relief. I'm pleased with the results so far, although getting the right viscosity and lather without a brush is a challenge. When I put my ear to the ground, I think I hear a brush heading my way for gift season...

@kansaskyle -- I am indeed a Texan; more to the point, a fellow Austinite! After a month of shaving, the Hill Country Fare blades aren't bad to my skin, but I am interested in trying something else just to see what's out there.

So far, the DE shaving experience is fantastic. After an initial couple of sessions with wee nicks and burns, I've gotten my technique down pretty solid. Most of it is learning to keep the skin lubricated, avoid pressure, and identify hair direction, especially on the neck.

I wish you all warm and happy holidays!

Welcome to B&B, we're glad to have you as a member. Maybe your job situation will change, now that you have that fresh scrubbed clean cut look. Certainly can't hurt your prospects. Wishing you the best!

Top Bottom