What's new

Shaving forum, who would have known?

Hi everyone!

Well where do I start.....I've been dealing with razor bumps and bad skin ever since I started shaving. I realized how bad it was when I was in boot camp 14 years ago and I had to shave every day with a throw away single razor. Talk about a pain, even was given a shave chit to not shave at the end of boot camp because of how irritated my face was. I've tried black magic (worked ok but burns the face if left on too long) and every single multi-cartridge out there with nothing making my shaving a pleasant experience. Back in high school I used to use my dads safety razor and found that to be an awesome shave. Fast forward to today and I saw the Van Der Hagen traditional safety razor at Walmart. Hesistant to buy a razor from Walmart, I looked up reviews and came across this site. I tryed reading a few threads and dont understand the acronyms and really dont know where to start with recommendations. Thanks for reading and I appreciate any answers.

Eric

welcome.hope the old way helps you.the vdh get ok reviews around here.i use only vintage my selfread up and ask away.you'll find plenty of help around here.

Welcome to B&B!

Post any specific questions you have, and you'll have a bunch of folks eager to help out.

If you are looking for some good starter sets, check out Maggard Razors or maybe Garry's Sample Shop. Both offer full sets to get you started at an economical price.

Welcome to B&B!

Post any specific questions you have, and you'll have a bunch of folks eager to help out.

If you are looking for some good starter sets, check out Maggard Razors or maybe Garry's Sample Shop. Both offer full sets to get you started at an economical price.
+1! Welcome Eric!

Wow thanks for all the warm welcomes and information! Ill start going through the threads provided to help me in my search.

Like many personal choices, every face is different, and as my fiends found out, not all razors are the same. Then blades are a whole new ball of wax to play with.

I used to tell folks to try the Wei Shi ( Wee Shoe) Chinese knock offs from E-Bay, they are cheap and gentle. Every last person that I know that has bought one has given it away, they are kinda like a toy, but very safe. I gave mine to a gal who is still using it.

My bud started with the Edwin Jagger DE86 2010 model, the one I sold. He has tried a lot of vintage ones, yet goes right back to the Jagger. It is a nasty hot razor, I love mine, but use the vintage ones fore they are gentle.

I'm new and I too bought the VdH razor and 5 shaves in, I see no reason to change. I didn't find the VdH blades very sharp at all. Already tugged my beard on the second shave. Only other blade I've used is a Wilkinson Sword (German), three shaves in and it's still in my razor. Welcome to B&B. Amos

Top Bottom