What's new

"Must Have" razors

Hey gang,

I've been shaving with a DE for about two years now, and have only used an Edwin Jagger that I initially got when I started. I just ordered a 1930s Gillette open comb long, and I am excited for its arrival. I have an interest in antique/vintage stuff, and would like to start a nice collection..

So, I ask you, Badger and Blade-
What do you have? What do you consider essential to a collection? What should I look for? What are good prices?

Let's hear it!

Leaving the prices aside, because it's against the TOU ...

Get them all, sell the ones you don't like, and buy more of those that work for you.

Terms of Use - We're "strongly discouraged" from discussing specifics of price for a particular razor.

Apologies, nuclearblast. I only asked so I have an idea of what I'm getting myself into..I don't want to go and buy something to find I overpaid for it, of course.

Winchester,
Who makes them? When were they produced?

Apologies, nuclearblast. I only asked so I have an idea of what I'm getting myself into..I don't want to go and buy something to find I overpaid for it, of course.

We know that, and that's why usually we recommend checking sold listings on eBay and the BST. That'll give you an idea of the current prices.

The Milord:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1946 Milord.JPG

The Slim Adjustable:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Adjustable/1961 G4 Slim.jpg

Pretty much all vintage Gillettes can be seen here:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette Rasierer.htm

Well…. because you asked...

Adjustable (slim or fatboy)
NEW
Superspeed
Merkur Slant
R41
Aristocrat (if you like mild)
Some type of stainless steel razor… WEber is a great place to start.

I have only one razor, an F-4 Fatboy. I look at other vintage Gillettes, and I sort of want to try a New, etc., but I'm a user not a collector (except for soaps!) so I'm happy with the Large Lad.

Depending on your age, most guys here try and get a birth year razor. I don't have one, but I might soon embark on that search.

Things to have, and in no particular order:
-A slant of some kind. I just got a merkur 39C, definately make it a german razor.
-A Gillette adjustable
-An antique Gillette of some kind. I have an Old with the ball tip, it's nice but it shaves like crap because the cap bends the blade into a curve that really sucks to shave with. I'll get around to fixing it eventually.
-A vintage single edge razor of some kind. Be careful when shopping here, many are hard to get blades for and might end up just being decoration like my autostrop
-A newer off-the-wall razor like a Cobra Classic or one of the other stainless steel DE razors.

I've only just started shaving with DE razors.

My replated New arrived yesterday and I have a replated 1964 Slim Adjustable on the way - not my birth year, just the year Goldfinger came out (I'm sad I know). I bought a Leresche No. 35 Open Comb on impulse because I saw them in the B/S/T section and thought I just have to have a vintage French razor. On my wish list are a Single Ring Old, a Fatboy, a 1940s style SS and a 1950s Red Tip SS.

Hopefully I can stop after that but somehow I doubt it.

Top Bottom