What's new

Help!

so I have recently rediscovered my Semogue 1305 and I love it. I am considering a new brush for Christmas and am looking for feedback. Since I have heard so many things about the Omegas I am leaning that way, sort of widening the experience by trying a different "family". I face-lather. I don't really like scratchy in my brushes (put down an omega pure badger for that reason). I am very interested in the appearance of the brush, I want something that really looks good (striking, different, etc.) in my shave den. I have been looking at the Omega 81569, the blue handled one, but I can't find a review of the brush. I have also looked at the Semoque 830, but I am seriously leaning towards the Omega just because I haven't had an Omega boar yet and it seems so "one of a kind." Before the suggestions come in I am not really interested in the 49 right now I think it would be too big for me and I am not sure how the plain plastic handle would look in person. So within those, possibly insane, parameters, does anyone have any feedback on the 81569 or an experience based comparison between it and the Semoque? Any suggestions/observations would be appreciated.

If you are concerned that the brush will look or feel like it's high quality, then I'd recommend the omega 31064 if you really want an omega.

In general, the omegas are known for their cheap feeling and looking handles (but good knots). The Semogue brushes are a lot higher quality "looking" and feeling (from a handle perspective).

The omega luxury series has nice handles. The 31064 is comparable to your semogue 1305 in loft etc. the handle is like the semogue 830 though.

Another option is to buy an omega 10049, cut off the handle, and put the knot into a nice handle.

That is actually my only real complaint with the Semogue. The handle feels a bit thinnish (knot seems right just the handle seems too narrow for my taste), and the finish on the handle is poor. There are a few bubbles in the paint job came with a small chip etc.

I saw an Omega 11126 and fell in love with its looks, and really enjoyed reading reviews about it on different shaving sites. Maybe give that brush a look and see if you're interested. Maggard Razors has them in stock, which is where I ordered mine from.

With some luck it will arrive tomorrow in the post, along with the Omega 50014 travel brush that I ordered from them as well. That could prove to be a nice Halloween treat if it does! :-D

As boars go, I find Omega blondes are my favourite hair and Semogue's my favourite handles. I don't recommend the banded Omega boar brushes like the 31064 since they get quite floppy with age.

Last edited:
I have read that the SOC is a great brush. I was looking for something a little different though, the SOC, to me, looks like the 1305 without paint. That's a big part of why I was thinking about the 81569, it seems pretty unique in pictures, but I was concerned that in person it might look like a cheap plastic toy. I also have no real idea how it performs other than just the overall Omega reputation. I may just go with the 830 because it seems like a beautiful brush and it gets rave reviews.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The Omega 31064 has been mentioned; I bought mine after reading "a beginners guide to boar brushes" (google it). It does everthing I want in a boar brush; It's over a year old. $razors 024.jpg$razors 042.jpg

I have several Semogues, but check out an Omega 11137..it's pretty nice. Not as floppy as the 1305..

I love my SOC, but it'ss a little big. I may sell it.

I have not, to date, had problems with the 1305 on this issue but do you think there are potential problems with wood handles that one would not encounter with acrylic?

B&B Essential Boar all the way. Possibly the nicest handle you'll find on a boar. It's a great knot, not too big or small, and each purchase helps B&B.

Top Bottom