What's new

Wet shaving is for losers

Haha JUST KIDDING! Just wanted to see who I could hook with that line.

Greetings everyone!

My name is Red and I'm new to this site, so I'm officially checking in with you. If you've come across this post, I hope you're prepared to read a bit, as I'm a bit chatty when it comes to writing. What can I say...I enjoy the sound of each click of the keyboard. If you've decided to stop here, however, I thank you for reading up to this point and wish you a good day :) It's good to be aboard!

To the brave soul that's decided to push onward...

I have no experience with wet shaving. My only knowledge of it was what I saw on TV or in movies. I remember my father having a safety razor, but as far as I can remember, I never actually saw him use it. He's strictly a cartridge and can shaver, which is what he taught me to be, and to this very day, I still am. I'm 34, and I've decided I want to change that routine. After the thousands of times I've shaved, I owe it to myself to try a different path...a path that HOPEFULLY offers considerably less razor burn, ingrown hairs, skin irritation, and pain in general. If this venture proves to be fruitful, I also hope to pass down to my sons the equipment that I accumulate. Today's society is so often characterized by the fascination with technology and what's "new and improved", that we've forgotten or overlooked the significance of family heirlooms. It is by passing down these various trinkets that we are able build, and more importantly, SUSTAIN a connection to our past. We have the opportunity to honor those that came before us, every time we use or even just glance at those objects. But I digress. My apologies. I did warn you, though.

Technology isn't without its merits. It's through technology that I'm able to write this drivel, and it's because of technology that I was reminded of wet shaving. I was flipping channels one day and came across a commercial for the MicroTouch One safety razor. I'm sure you've seen it. Bald guy, from the TV show "Pawn Stars" going on and on about the advantages of using a safety razor. It might've been the Heineken talking, but he made sense. Plus, I'm always a little more easily swayed when the opportunity to protest big business presents itself (if you're unfamiliar with the commercial, Rick Harrison (aforementioned "bald guy") uses the selling point that cartridge manufacturers have brainwashed the general public into thinking that more blades is better, and thus you're forced to pay a premium for this "new and improved" technology). Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "Uh didn't you just whine a few thousand paragraphs ago about people being obsessed with NEW things?" One, yes, I did, and B, technically this isn’t “new” technology. It’s a new product capitalizing on “old” technology. Product aside, the points were valid. Having more blades doesn’t necessarily result in a better shave. One excellent blade outperforming three or four inferior blades, did , however, make sense to me.

The next day, I began my research (sans Heineken) about the pros and cons for each of the shaving “systems”, trying to discover support as to why I should change my current system (can and cartridge). While I know the majority of you don’t need to hear about the pros of wet shaving, here are the main reasons why I was skeptical about making the change, followed by counterpoints I found in my research that support making the change.

Point: Shaving with a DE razor looks more dangerous than shaving with my disposable razor and I’ll just hack myself into pieces trying to use that thing

Counterpoint: You can definitely end up with more nicks and cuts by using a DE razor, but with practice and patience, you can avoid those and build a great technique. Plus, the reason that you’re more prone to cuts is because when you’re shaving with a DE, you’re working with a superior blade and not multiple inferior blades in a disposable. The multiple blades also result in hairs getting caught between blades, which negatively affects the efficiency of those blades.

Point: With all of the equipment and supplies you have to buy, it’s a lot cheaper to stick to can and cartridge shaving.

Counterpoint: While it’s true that you need to spend a good amount of money upfront in order to invest in quality products, you’ll actually save money in the long run since DE blades are cheaper than cartridges (the current price for 15 Gillette Mach 3 cartridges is around $30-$35, while you can get a reputable 100-count pack of DE blades for around $10). A puck of shaving soap can last much longer than a can of shaving goop. You also need to invest in a quality brush, pre-shave products, and post-shave products, but with these extra costs, your return on investment can be anything from less irritation to healthier skin, or to a better overall shaving experience, which is completely worth it to many.

Point: Wet shaving takes too much time and effort.

Counterpoint: As a newcomer to wet shaving, the whole process can consume a significant chunk of your time when compared to shaving with disposables. But as with any new task, there is a learning period during which you’ll learn how to “shave” off time with each experience. You’ll discover how to be more efficient. Your confidence will grow to the point where you’re not thinking about cutting yourself with every single swipe on your skin. Even after all of this you might find that it’s still a considerable amount of difference in the time it takes to complete the wet shaving process, but you may instead find that the extra time it takes can be a relaxing break in your day when you can just focus on yourself, and not your work or sports or your family or your phone or your computer.

Once I felt more knowledgeable about the subject, I made the decision to experiment with wet shaving, and I’m quite excited about the whole thing! I haven’t made any purchases as of yet, but plan to do so within the next few days. Here’s a list of the products I plan on buying for my first experience:

1) Razor: Edwin Jagger DE3D14bl 3D Laser Diamond Knurled Handle Safety Razor
2) Blades: DE variety pack
3) Brush: Omega 10049 Professional Boar Shaving Brush
4) Soap: Tabac Original Shaving Soap
5) Pre-shave: Homemade pre-shave oil containing castor oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, and grapeseed oil
6) Post-shave: Dickinson's Original Witch Hazel Pore Perfecting Toner

And there you have it. Like I said, I’m very excited to begin this journey and I’m very hopeful that I achieve the same results as those who rave about wet shaving. Thank you for reading my manifesto. I truly appreciate it. If there’s anything I’ve missed, or if there’s anything I’m completely wrong about, please let me know. I appreciate a good critique. I’d also gladly welcome any sage advice or tips that can help me as a beginner. I look forward to my time here in the forums, and to hearing from you!

Here’s to a great shave!

Red

Welcome Red. I am just another newbe on the bus as well.
The learning curve is pretty easy with the DE...your face will thank you as you will not experience the ingrown hairs. I have been a wet shaver for a long time but like you, I used cartridges until August 2014 and I decided to switch to a DE as my default razor. I also rekindled a relationship with a SE (Thiers Issard) that I purchased back in the early 90's. I got the "Go traditional" bug a long time ago but hacked the hell out of my face with the SE due to bad technique. I put it away in a safe place for many years. Now that we can view proper technique via YouTube, I decided to pull it out of hiding and give it a try. I have been at it for about a month with surprisingly positive success.

Back to the DE experience...I picked up a Merkur 34C and followed a few simple suggestions that were repeated in many posts and videos. I got a great BBS shave the first time with no nicks or burn. With proper technique it is a very safe and easy way to shave.

Good luck to you on your adventure.

Welcome to B&B, Red.

While you are waiting for your gear to arrive it would be a good time to review the wealth of material on B&B. A good starting point is here. Also, take a look at the wiki and stickies. The info on pre-shave prep and lather will help you to get a good start.

Nice beginner set up! since you are starting out I highly suggest you try out proraso red and green, razorock and and a stencil to stop the bleeding. Welcome to :badger::badger::badger::badger: and blade!

Wow, way to articulate, Red! :thumbup1:
Welcome to B&B, glad you're on board, lots of good people, information, and opinions here!

Welcome to B&B.
There is definitely a learning curve(which draws a little blood), but if you stick to the wiki, you won't have a problem.
Your starting equipment is fine(with the exception of Tabac same as mine), but as Zed said, I would recommend a tub or two of Proraso creams(my favourites are blue and green), if nothing else for the sake of variety. Plus they will last you for months.
Another thing is, all your points are true for the total beginner. In a couple months' time, you will have a somewhat nice technique that will get you great shaves.
Lastly, don't go off chasing the closest shave from the get go. Focus on getting comfortable and presentable shaves, and as your technique develops, you will get closer shaves.

Top Bottom