What's new

A Gift from a Friend

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yes, I would make it again. It turned out great. L. loved it...she thought the flavors were similar to the Red Lentil Dal recipe.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Hey Chris, any luck shaving with the Royal I sent you? It needed some tender loving care, so it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't so good...but what do I know.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Actually I put it to use this morning for its second shave. It took a very nice edge and shaves well. Bevel set on a 1K then onto a Wakasa Jnat with a full nagura progression. (Guess I lost you at Wakasa).
When I get motivated I may just look at making a new set of scales for it, from the goat horn project I started a long time ago. from animal to scale. I started with 6 goat heads.
They should have cured enough by now.

Good to here that L. like the curry.

This is my Pork Vindaloo for dinner tonight with a bit of Mexico in the Indian dish.

$20141123_173744.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That's great Chris. That makes me smile. I'm glad you have put it to some use. Actually you lost me at 1k:)

Woooo....that looks tasty. Did you eat that all by yourself? I know....dumb question. That bread looks good too.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I had my two furry friend help me eat it. Max & Nova also like it a lot. There is still plenty in the pot.

The razor was not in a bad condition at all when you sent it to me. A quick clean up with some Autosol (you guys would use Maas).
It was close to a butter knife but that is the norm for a lot of old razors that have been unused for a long time.
Did you apply oil to the blade to store it?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I had my two furry friend help me eat it. Max & Nova also like it a lot. There is still plenty in the pot.

The razor was not in a bad condition at all when you sent it to me. A quick clean up with some Autosol (you guys would use Maas).
It was close to a butter knife but that is the norm for a lot of old razors that have been unused for a long time.
Did you apply oil to the blade to store it?

I don't remember applying any oil. I bought it, then put it in my display cabinet along with other assorted collectibles. I took it out on occasion to admire. It's got to be over 125 years old. The case it came in might even be older. I hope you enjoy the heck out of that thing. I think a scale made out of goat horn would be cool. What about deer horn?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Any suggestions on what to use the chipotle peppers with Aaron?

Make fresh salsa. You know something to dip your corn chip into for a snack.
Salsa Recipe
1 can of high quality crushed tomatoes or 2 ripe tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
a handful of cilantro
1/2 white onion
1 spoonful of adobo sauce from chipotle peppers can and 1 pepper from same can
1 jalapeno
1 habenero
juice of half of lime
S&p to taste.
grind all together in food processor until smooth.

Also great for an addition to marinades, i.e. chicken, pork chops or steaks.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That sounds nice Aaron and so simple.
I will give it a go this weekend, may need to subsutute a splash of a firedragon chili for the habenero as that is not avaliable fresh here.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
That sounds nice Aaron and so simple.
I will give it a go this weekend, may need to subsutute a splash of a firedragon chili for the habenero as that is not avaliable fresh here.

Substitute a Serrano pepper for the habanero pepper. Or, if you don't have a Serrano pepper use a ghost pepper, scotch bonnet or double up on the jalapeño pepper. Now I'm hungry.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Substitute a Serrano pepper for the habanero pepper. Or, if you don't have a Serrano pepper use a ghost pepper, scotch bonnet or double up on the jalapeño pepper. Now I'm hungry.
The fresh chili situation here is a real sorry state of affairs.............back to the firedragon option I'm affraid, at least until I can start growing my own.
If only I planted my chili seeds a few months ago.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
How about this. Take your Tejas Chilies and put them in hot water to reconstitute them. It will make them soft enough to put in your salsa. Are the Tejas chilies hot or are they mild?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Tejas are very hot and peppery. They are the hottest from India http://www.kpspices.com/cc.html
I do have a few of them to use LOL.

We do have what I believe is a Anaheim fresh. They just label them chili but their size, colour & heat make me think they are Anaheim or similar.

The Vindaloo that I made this weekend was a 50/50 blend of Dixon medium hot chili powder & Tejas to what I used the previous time.
The heat level was less, it dropped down to something the misses enjoyed (more than me).
I think the Tejas have a bit of a kick even with the seeds removed.

I added a few drops of the deadly hot sauce to some leftovers tonight. Yum hot Vindaloo as it should be.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The Anaheim pepper here in the US is very mild but a nice flavor. It's good to roast then add to any dish. Good to top on a pizza or place in a stew for that added something but without the hot. The Anaheim pepper is a New Mexico chili pepper.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Lets play name that Chili.
These were in my fridge, the little woman must have bought them.

$20141124_175146.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
added some chipotle pepper to this kiwi classic dip.
Made with reduced cream, onion soup and a tablespoon of vinegar, added one chipotle pepper and some adobo sauce.
combine and refrigerate for at least half an hour.

250g reduced cream 32g sachet onion soup mix
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 chipotle pepper and some adobo sauce

Three Boys Oyster Stout to wash it down with.

$20141129_131653.jpg

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Make fresh salsa. You know something to dip your corn chip into for a snack.
Salsa Recipe
1 can of high quality crushed tomatoes or 2 ripe tomatoes
1 clove of garlic
a handful of cilantro
1/2 white onion
1 spoonful of adobo sauce from chipotle peppers can and 1 pepper from same can
1 jalapeno
1 habenero
juice of half of lime
S&p to taste.
grind all together in food processor until smooth.
OK made your Salsa.
used ripe tomatoes, jalapeno from a jar and the chili from the photo.
Nice and fresh. The Mrs tried some and said it was nice.
will make it again.

$20141130_121210.jpg

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Chris that looks really fresh. Did you include cilantro and lime juice? The canned(pickled)jalapeños will work fine. The chipotle peppers add a great smokey flavor similar to Dragon chili sauce that you sent me. Something I like a lot but others including my wife don't prefer.

Salsa....Try it on eggs, tacos, cereal, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, Subaru bumper...it's all good.

Top Bottom