What's new

lkon 102 slant head ordered.

I can't wait , here is my setup ready for the head $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414712132.148066.jpg

I got the full razor at normal price.
IMO, getting only the head was a bit risky for 2 reasons:

a. my existing handles may not fit (tradere, etc)
b. with the aluminium head, the handles may be too heavy.

The 101 had the aluminum head, and came with the iKon Bulldog handle, IIRC. Is the "regular" handle for the 102 the tuckaway? Generally short handles (bulldogs) are good with me, but I'm not sure about the tuckaway.

Anyway, I'm very curious about this new razor head. I didn't get along with the Merkur 37c, but have been curious to try other slants. Now this one is a "tilt" and not a "twist" slant head, so I'm not sure how much light it will shed on others... but still, very curious to try an altogether new kind of razor head, too.

Yup - there is a lack of information on the 102.
A blind buy, in my case ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think there's a lack of info, particurlarly, so much as that it's brand new. Leisureguy posted a review/description on his blog. (He got the tuckaway handle on his review loaner, so that's why I wondered if that was what was being sold to go with it. Just the head is fine with me, I have some iKon handles!). Some others ordered it as soon as it was announced, and have had it delivered, so I've read a couple of reviews.

I've also read that it's an update of the Mulcuto Schrägschnitt (Mulcuto Diagonal). With the tabs enclosed, as usual for iKon/Shavecraft.

Of course, never having used it, it's a mystery to that extent. So thanks for the blind buy -- I look forward to your sharing your impressions of the shave, once it arrives!

Last edited:
(I posted this via a PM, but I thought that I'd share my sentiments publicly on the forum thread.)

I'm not one for hyperbole; I just call things like I see them, but this new Shavecraft 102 slant is just...

Wow!

The very first shave with it this morning and I've got a BBS with two passes. In fact, it's the ONLY razor that comes close (and very, very close) to the vintage Merkur slant.

I used an Astra blade (which have proven to be good for me in the slants that I have.) No change in the cream or the brush (Mike's Barbershop and a Kent B4K.)

It's interesting since the 102 actually has a "direction" to the slant. If you find that one direction isn't working well in one place on your face, just flip the head around and suddenly the reverse slant angle cuts the whiskers better.

Honestly, I've tried at least 80% of the available vintage and current razors. I've elected to keep just a very few of them and the 102 has easily convinced me to keep it. In fact, if I lost my vintage Merkur razors, I would cry my eyes dry, but the tears would roll down my smoothly shaven face from the 102 Shavemac.

Get one. I heartily recommend them.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414771751.365695.jpg
Mine arrive . Simple and beautiful

Such a beautiful razor. For $35 it's worth every penny. I have slant dlc which is part of my rotation. Let me tell you , the shave quality is same smooth and silky:)
Three passes of irritation free bs shave . Amazing job Greg :)

Let's not jump the fence , stay with double edge razors :)

Last edited:
I ordered one this morning. Head only. $48. Seemed like a pretty good deal.

I have the following after-market handles from which to choose:

1) Ikon Bulldog II, 85 mm.
2) Custom UFO Kaiser
3) Tradere, original version
4) Tradere, second generation
5) Not here yet, but I ordered a UFO Titan Fine L, which is being made for me now.

One or more of these ought to work pretty well. :001_smile

I just shaved with the #102 this morning. I paired it with an 80mm UFO Colibri handle, which balanced well. Overall I felt it was a very nice and intuitive shaver. I was pleasantly surprised when I first got the #102 about how heavy and solid it felt, despite the fact it is aluminum. Will definitely need a few more shaves to get more of an opinion, but I am hesitantly optimistic about it.

Hope others enjoy theirs when they arrive soon!

Today marks the second day with the 102 slant and I've got another BBS shave.

I've tried the stock Bulldog handle as well as the Tuckaway and Sabi handle. I think that personally a lighter handle will work even better for me. I'm used to the very light vintage Merkur slant. I've got a cheap Maggard handle that I'll use tomorrow.

Today I intentionally kept the blade head direction consistent to see if I just had a case of beginners luck yesterday, but it doesn't really seem to matter much. I'm getting more impressed with the razor than I have for any razor in a long time. That's exciting and enjoyable for me; I've been wet shaving for so many years now that I'd had become somewhat jaded in my quest to supersede the vintage Merkur slant and the 102 appears to have gotten very close. They're still a little apart, but I suspect that as I get more face time with the 102 that it will rival the vintage Merkur slant. If I can find a very light weight handle for the 102, I think that I will be at the epitome 102 condition.

-joedy

Last edited:
I got mine yesterday and it sure is nice. I'm not one for collecting razors (DEs at least, straights are another story)--I have two heads, after trying out quite a few several months back: one aggressive (R41) and one medium (Giesen-Forsthoff Timor OC). The Shavecraft 102 nearly approaches the efficiency of the former while being maybe less aggressive even than the Timor. So I'm now down to one head.

I use the head with an iKon OSS handle, at least so far. Two face shaves in, plus one head-shave pass. Great razor -- and I didn't like my only prior experience with a slant, a Merkur 37c, at all. This one is both forgiving and efficient, as other have said. I have two "trouble spots' where I usually can't get BBS without a lot of irritation, and this razor made quick work of them.

I find it needs a steep angle, and has a pretty narrow "sweet spot", and also that I wish it had more auditory feedback. But these are minor "complaints" if even that. I really like the razor a lot. I got in on the promo pricing for just the head, too, else I probably wouldn't have pursued a new slant at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom