What's new

Newbie at decision time

I've used Gillette razors since I started shaving so more than 10 years now. I've tried every kind it seems like but have constant irritation on my neck and breakouts. It was pretty bad while I was in the military shaving every day so now that I'm out I don't shave much because of these problems. I've done some research and it seems like DE is much better, not only for the overall shaving experience but also financially in the long run. I'm on the fence right now as to whether I should take the plunge and switch over and if so what the best course is to take to do that. I would appreciate any input you guys may have.

Thanks

If you are willing to take a $50 dollar risk than I say give it a try. You can get a nice starter set for fairly cheap. For example

Brush-Omega,Seminoge,Tweezerman all on Amazon for around $10
Razor-Lord,Vintage Gillette (Superspeed or Tech) can be found for around $10
Cream/Soap-Geo F Trumper or Proraso for around $10
Blades $10 for 100 pack or a few $ for a couple 5 packs.
Aftershave-Aqua Velva for around $5

I recently made the switch and I can say my skin feels better. No ingrowns and minimal irritation. That being said there is a learning curve and you may experience some bad shaves along the path. I say go for it. Plus it makes shaving an enjoyable experience.

Welcome from Arizona !

I would give DE shaving a try. It could possibly do wonders for you.
Use good products (read the reviews on this site). Also, plenty of experienced people here
to help you if you run into difficulties.
Good luck !

Welcome from a neighbor. I live in the Greensburg area and work in Pittsburgh. You should absolutely make the switch. I bought a Gillette Slim Adjustable the other week at the UFO (Used Furniture Outlet) in Greensburg. Also YSI Antiques in Youngwood has several vintage DE's in stock now. I was there last Saturday, after getting a straight razor shave at Comrades, but they didn't have anything I was looking for.

Def make the switch. Grab a gillette tech for 10ish dollars. Soup bowl u have at home. Nivea as balm is 5ish at ur local Wally World. Grab a omega 10029 for under 10 most places. Soaps can go all ranges of prices but can b cheap for great soap ie cella or something similar. Blades try quite a few with a sampler. I have several kinds and could send u some if u decide to make the jump. Which u should. Good luck buddy.

If you are willing to take a $50 dollar risk than I say give it a try. You can get a nice starter set for fairly cheap. For example

Brush-Omega,Seminoge,Tweezerman all on Amazon for around $10
Razor-Lord,Vintage Gillette (Superspeed or Tech) can be found for around $10
Cream/Soap-Geo F Trumper or Proraso for around $10
Blades $10 for 100 pack or a few $ for a couple 5 packs.
Aftershave-Aqua Velva for around $5

I recently made the switch and I can say my skin feels better. No ingrowns and minimal irritation. That being said there is a learning curve and you may experience some bad shaves along the path. I say go for it. Plus it makes shaving an enjoyable experience.

^
|
This. I would suggest skipping the Tweezerman Pure Badger brush that's on Amazon and investing in an Omega or Semogue Boar brush to start. I just made the switch to DE bliss and fell into the Tweezerman trap. Very scratchy and irriated my neck badly. The Semougue 1305 I just got for $20 is well worth it. Much more comfortable to use and allows me to face lather without causing breakouts. Good luck with whatever you choose! I'm new to this, but would recommend the switch. My razor burn and bumps on my neck are decreasing daily now and it is a much more enjoyable experience each morning.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I think I'm going to go ahead and try it out, don't have anything to lose except my multi-blade razor and the irritation. Gonna look for the suggested items tomorrow and see how it works out. Thanks again for all the posts.

Welcome to B&B, glad you're on board, lots of good people, information, and opinions here!
All good advice above...:thumbup:

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B.

Take the plunge. You'll never look back. Much better shaves and you can save $$ if you don't get obsessed with buying tons of soaps, creams, blades, razors, brushes, aftershaves, etc.

So went to walmart.com looking for the aqua velva aftershave, I saw the old spice aftershave there also which I currently have because my wife likes the smell. Is that a recommended aftershave or should I just get the aqua velva?

So went to walmart.com looking for the aqua velva aftershave, I saw the old spice aftershave there also which I currently have because my wife likes the smell. Is that a recommended aftershave or should I just get the aqua velva?

Welcome to the forum!

Get whichever aftershave you like the fragrance of. I find OS to be a tad pricey, but no other smells like it, so it's up to you and those who'll be smelling you.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B.

Take the plunge. You'll never look back. Much better shaves and you can save $$ if you don't get obsessed with buying tons of soaps, creams, blades, razors, brushes, aftershaves, etc.

... if....
... if...
... if...

$if.gif

Top Bottom