What's new

Martinsville Soapworks Green Tweed

So, it's there version of GIT....and right off the bat, I'll tell you that I don't know how close it is to the real GIT in scent, as I've never smelled actual GIT. But I can tell you that it has a nice woodsy scent, and it's not overbearing. The great thing was that it lathers really easy...not a lot of water needed to get you a solid lather, as well it gives a really smooth shave.
The way I figure it that since I only paid $4.50 for a 4 oz puck, I saved $85.50 that I would have paid for Creed, and can use that money for important things....blades & beer!:lol:

http://martinsvillesoapworks.com/

So what we've done is taken our fabulous glycerin soap and added bentonite to it.

Have to say reading something like that would make me a bit cautious to proceed. Not that there aren't good glycerin shave soaps, but just the idea that you can take a regular bath soap and add clay to make it a shave soap just doesn't seem right.

Still, at a price like that it's worth a shot and could always make a nice bath soap if it doesn't work out.

Have to say reading something like that would make me a bit cautious to proceed. Not that there aren't good glycerin shave soaps, but just the idea that you can take a regular bath soap and add clay to make it a shave soap just doesn't seem right.

Still, at a price like that it's worth a shot and could always make a nice bath soap if it doesn't work out.

Well, I had contacted the company on a problem that I had with shipping this past Monday. It wasn't a mistake on their end, but the people who collect the mail where I had it shipped had lost it last Friday, and had to get a description of what the package looked like. I traded emails with Heather from Martinsville about that, and then about what I wrote here. She came on the site to see what response there was, and read what you wrote.
She wrote me back about her process for making the soap, & I asked her if it would OK for me to post what she wrote to me...here's what she said:

"I also appreciate the positive review on Badger and Blade. I'll admit I did go look it up (I lurk on there occasionally, especially when I have questions about wet shaving) and I did notice the reply to your post regarding the glycerin base I use. And usually I would agree with that person, that you can't always take a glycerin soap base and add bentonite to it to make a shaving soap. The particular base I use, however, is considered a "true soap" (as opposed to a detergent, which many glycerin soaps contain) and it's made from the same base oils that I would use if I were making shaving soap from scratch - coconut for it's lathering abilities, palm for stability of the lather, and safflower for both lather stability and conditioning. Glycerin is a natural product of the soapmaking process, so of course it's in there as well - all handmade soap contains glycerin, not just the ones called "glycerin soap". Mass manufacturers usually remove the glycerin and sell it to cosmetic companies - one of the reasons why supermarket soap costs less than handmade soap is because the big guys can recoup some of their costs this way. (This might be why I noticed some people on Badger and Blade mentioned that they added glycerin to the soap when they were building the lather - it had been removed or decreased in the soap they're using.)"

Don't know if it will make a difference to anyone with her statement, but for me...like I said, I got a great shave using it, and I like the scent...and I'll be doing business with Heather again. The only way you can really tell something will work for you is trying for yourself.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
If the ingredient list was published on their website, it would help... Unless I missed it...

I believe folks add glycerine to there lather to increase stability, not necessarily for the moisturizing properties. Either way.

You are cometary correct though, one must experience things to truly know, however, many folks after having had multiple bad experiences with similar "bath soap with clay" tend to avoid any product that resembles it.

Glad to hear you found a product you enjoy and a seller that's helpful to boot.

Top Bottom