What's new

col conk shaving soap

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
The Colonel is a top notch soap, My first and I still use it often. It can be tricky to lather, but not really difficult. Soak brush for a few minutes, squeeze to get most of the water out. Load brush for maybe 30-45 seconds, build lather in separate bowl, mug, scuttle. Add water a few drops at a time until you get a nice thick, but not too thick lather. Apply to face and shave away. I find it to be very slick, protective and moisturizing. I don't have the huge variety of soaps that many here have, but I haven't found any that are actually better; some are easier to lather, but none are better.

Conk gets bashed here sometimes, but I use it in the rotation and like it. Haven't had a problem with it, and really like especially the lime scent.

Dean

strop

Now half as wise
Conk was the first soap I ever used, and one of only two for several years before finding B&B. At the time I simply lathered in the mug and finished on the face. Never had any complaints with any of the scents.

Good performer. In my opinion there are better out there. But the Col is always in my rotation. I love the Amber in the colder months. Yes it is harder to lather, I find it easier to lather with a boar instead of a badger. I will probably always have a puck on hand.

Col Conk Lime is one of my favorite soaps. I always get a great shave with it and the post shave with it is usually good also. I put a little hot water on it before my shower that helps soften it up for lathering. Also I melted mine into a bigger mug which helped a lot with lathering. That 2.25 oz puck is too small the way it comes to lather effectively.

I picked up the four-pack sampler, and I agree with 'jwl79' on the benefit of transferring to a larger bowl. That really helped me get a better lather. I ran mine through a cheese grater and repacked into a larger bowl, which gave me a lot more surface area to lather.

I used up all the lime sampler, and still have the other three. They've taken a back burner as I'm trying out a bunch of other great soaps I've read about here.

Col Conk (Bay Rum) is also in my rotation, less often than it should be but it's a great performer once you get the hang on getting the lathering technique down.

As others said, it's a great performer, leaves a nice protective coating on your skin. Definitely try MORE product! You may also find that Boar vs Badger and visa versa may work better for you. Once you find the right combo of brush, water, product, mix time, etc., you will use it as a benchmark for other soaps out there!

It looks like Col. Conk has come out with another line of "Natural Shaving Soap". I had regular formula pucks of the Bay Rum, Lime, and Amber and I think you can certainly get a serviceable lather. All in all, its really not half bad for the price, but there is just a lot of better stuff out there. This new natural soap has me intrigued though, and I might grab a puck to check out.

I picked up the four-pack sampler, and I agree with 'jwl79' on the benefit of transferring to a larger bowl. That really helped me get a better lather. I ran mine through a cheese grater and repacked into a larger bowl, which gave me a lot more surface area to lather.

I used up all the lime sampler, and still have the other three. They've taken a back burner as I'm trying out a bunch of other great soaps I've read about here.

Col Conk is better to melt it than grate

Top Bottom