What's new

Hi new member checking in

I have been wet shaving now for two months. I started off with a van der hagen boar brush and soap and bowl with a micro touch DE. I was getting good shaves. The more i read articales here the more things i wanted to aquire. So I purchased a blade sampler pack. A edwin jagger DE, TOBS sandlle wood soap, TOBS pre shave oil. The first shave with all my high end products were great for the first shave after that I started to get bad irritation. So i picked up a loacly maded bar of soap and started geting good shaves again. I then proceeded to buy a simpsions brush and MWF soap a alum block and a tub of Green poraso , along with poraso pre shave. The new brush helped me to make great lather. I still would get razor burn using my MWF. I then talked to my grandfather and told him i was shaving with a de and he told me he had several I could have. He gave me to 1968 knacks. and I believe a 1966 Gilletle slim adjustable. aLong with a straight I have not identified yet. I started using the knacks with my poraso products and my alum block with much better results. I then placed an order for more poraso products so I can shave at work when I have duty so I also threw in an order of astra blades. Using the knack with the astra blades and proaso gave me one of my best shaves. I have still yet to beat the amount of good shaves using the micro touch one and vander hagen products I am finally getting close. I thing some of my biggest problems has been over thinking techinque and throwing to many new products at a time. While having trouble i played with hot and cold shaves and I found out I was able to get less iritation with cold. Along with with my last couple great shaves I went back to my original passes wich was with the grain and then across the grain and then across the grain other direction then followed by a touch up. Where the teqnuice I was using when i had irritation was with across and against. I am realy enjoying this as a hobby I have even able to get my wife to start using my soaps and brush which she has realy been enjoying and also make her not as mad at me when a new oreder shows up. I have not however switched to a de for shaving my head to afraind of slicing my melon open but it does aprriciate me using better products

I have not tried my grandpa's slim adjustable I feel like adding in the adjustable varible will just be to much Im planning on using my knacks with poraso prodcts for 30 days to concentrae on teqnique

Any pointers or advice is welcome and I arpiciate all the help I have recived by rerading the forums and watching the videos and am glad to be away from carts.

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you are getting things figured out slowly but surely. As far as the straight, I'd post a picture in the straight razor forum and hopefully they can help you to identify it.

Hello and welcome. B&B is a great forum as you have already learned. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Having your grandfather's Slim is cool.

That is my plan I just have to get the time to take a picture and upload it along with the amrkings are pretty worn off so it will be hard but Im sure some one will have an idea.

Thank you yes I was very excited to recieve his razors. I know many people her wish they had an heirloom like my slim I am lucky I switced while he was alive or who knows where they would be. Im lucky knowing him over 20 years with cancer and he is 91.

Top Bottom