What's new

Weird Shave With Derby Blade Today

So I'm still going through the sampler pack of blades I bought. The pack I have the most of are the Derby blades. Here's why.

I remember the first one I used had a lot of tug and pull. Had to make like 4-5 passes to get a smooth shave. Pretty sure I ditched it after one shave and chalked it up to poor technique since I was just getting into the wet shaving game.

Second time I tried one about a month later I stopped half way through the shave and furiously tossed the blade. The shave experience was THAT bad. Tug & pull like no other, irritation, the works. That was my worst shave to date.

This morning decided to give a Derby another shot, I know my technique has improved and I have my face pretty well mapped out. Went through my pre-shave routine, lathered up and started shaving at the mustache like I always do. Ugh TUG and PULL, but it was manageable. proceeded to finish the first pass and couldn't believe what I was feeling when I rinsed. My face was damn smooth in 1 pass.. with a DERBY. So I lathered up for my second pass and had some more minor tug and pull on the jawline that needed touching up. But after two passes my face felt smooth. Like I don't think it has felt that smooth after a shave before. I am totally confused by this. How can a blade tug and pull like that and I come out with a DFS after 2 passes? :confused1

By the way the razor is a fat handle Tech. 1946-1950? Soaps are either Stirling or Synergy.

I got a sampler pack earlier this year: derby, dorko, shark ss, shark sc, astra sp, astra ss.
Easily the worst were the dorko - completely unusable.
The sharks and astras were all equally good.
Easily the best shave - contrary to the kicking they get on this forum - the derbys.
I even ordered 100 half blades for my shavette and still get great shaves.
Think I'm the only derby fan in the world, however.

I like Derby a lot. I think it's because I'm Asian and I don't grow that much facial hair. I may sample the other blades in near future but I'm perfectly content with Derby.

I have also experienced the "Derby Duality". Incredible result with a little less smoothness during the actual shave. I also think that Derbys smooth out after the first shave. My thought is that some of the blades with a zillion coatings on them are rough until the coating wears off a bit. Last week I grabbed a razor to shave with and didn't look to see what brand I had in it, but knew it wouldn't have more than three shaves on it and it shaved so nicely that I thought for sure it was one of my Astra SP's. Afterwards I opened the razor and it was a Derby! I have no problem with them and have over three hundred in stock.

I got a sampler pack earlier this year: derby, dorko, shark ss, shark sc, astra sp, astra ss.
Easily the worst were the dorko - completely unusable.
The sharks and astras were all equally good.
Easily the best shave - contrary to the kicking they get on this forum - the derbys.
I even ordered 100 half blades for my shavette and still get great shaves.
Think I'm the only derby fan in the world, however.

My sampler came with: Derby, Astra SP, Personna Red and Gillette Silver Blue.

My favorite out of all are the Astras. Get a great shave every time with absolutely NO irritation.

The Personna Reds and Gillette SB are also great blades in my Tech. Actually I would say they are as good as the Astras.

Been debating whether I should try Feathers now... hmm... :001_unsur

I use the Derbys almost everyday. Before it came to that though, I thought they were completely useless. It has to be your technique improvement.
I also think that Derbys smooth out after the first shave.
Quoted for truth.

As has been mentioned, your technique probably assisted in this. Furthermore, as was also stated, life's too short, so I would get rid of the Derbys and use a great blade! Good luck.

A few years ago, Derby was the most popular blade in these forums. Today it's Astra. Next year...? There is a bit of group think, I believe, as people tend to think everyone else can't be wrong so they jump on-board.

I like Derby. It's not my favorite, but more often than not I get a nice shave. I do believe they have quality issues because once in a while I get a blade that really tugs and pulls so I just toss the blade quickly, but most blades work just fine.

Derby seems to be a 50/50 blade around here. Personally, I didn't like them (as I showed in my review), and have found blades that I like more. Since you still have more of them, keep shaving with them & see if they shave any better as you go along. Worse come to worse and feel you don't like them, go to the Great Blade Exchange & trade them for something else to try out.

I'm all for spreading the love of the discontinued Tomac blades. Just secured a deal with an ebay vendor to start on the 1st AFTER the restraint of course.:thumbup1:

I like Derbys. They work best in a mild razor like a Tech, EJ89 or Merkur 34.

They are my blade of choice to tackle a 1-day stubble. I have other razor/blade combos to go after 2-day and 3+ day beards.

True, there are some QC issues in the last few years. I went through a whole sleeve of the "Horizontal" Derbys without a hitch. I've tried a few of the "Vertical" Derbys and they don't seem to be quite as good, but in a blind test, I doubt I could tell the difference. My current stash is a 10-pack of the Orange Derbys that I picked up at Sally's Beauty Supply.

If anyone can recommend a mild blade that is as good as Derby, I'd like to hear about it. But of the dozens of different brands I've tried down through the years, I can't find one that compares. Not even one that comes close.

The Derby is a fine blade, but you have to pair it with the right razor and the right beard condition.

They are my blade of choice to tackle a 1-day stubble. I have other razor/blade combos to go after 2-day and 3+ day beards.

The Derby is a fine blade, but you have to pair it with the right razor and the right beard condition.

I like this idea a lot.. I will try using the same blade again tomorrow morning to tackle the stubble I have going and see if there is an improvement in the blade performance. The other day when I used it I did have about a 6 day growth going on. Maybe it is like you say better for 1 day stubble.

Derby's work great in my 66' Flair SS and my Fatip Retro. They'd most likely be my go to blades if I couldn't get my hands on any more Tomac blades since they're discontinued.

Odds are a small form of RBAD will make me get 100 or more Derbys and Rainbows on top of my 500 Tomacs :lol:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Use what works for you. I would never use a blade with even a int of pulling (which means you couldn't give me a Derby), but that has nothing to do with your shave.

This morning decided to give a Derby another shot, I know my technique has improved and I have my face pretty well mapped out. Went through my pre-shave routine, lathered up and started shaving at the mustache like I always do. Ugh TUG and PULL, but it was manageable. proceeded to finish the first pass and couldn't believe what I was feeling when I rinsed. My face was damn smooth in 1 pass.. with a DERBY. So I lathered up for my second pass and had some more minor tug and pull on the jawline that needed touching up. But after two passes my face felt smooth. Like I don't think it has felt that smooth after a shave before. I am totally confused by this. How can a blade tug and pull like that and I come out with a DFS after 2 passes? :confused1

I have the same experience as you with the tugging and pulling on the chin area, but Derbys are still my favorite, everyday blade. My second pass is better than the first RE tugging and pulling but all that's left after the second pass are touch-ups for a DFS.

With me, I think its the less-sharp blade compared to Astras or Gillette Blacks, but aside from the tugging and pulling, it provides for a less irritable post shaves, which I'd prefer.

Blades are different for everyone.

Derby blades work great for me, and I have restocked on them.

Always good to try many blade samples to find which ones you like best.

Top Bottom