What's new

Recommend a synthetic?

I'd like to try a synthetic-bristled brush--ideally without dropping $70 on a Muhle. Can you recommend one that would be a good character foil for my daily silvertip badger? Looking for something with more stiffness, maybe not quite such a lather hog, but still soft and comfy.

I have been looking for a good travel synthetic. It seems they go from really cheap to really expensive without much in the middle and so I'm interested to the responses u get.

I'd like to try a synthetic-bristled brush--ideally without dropping $70 on a Muhle. Can you recommend one that would be a good character foil for my daily silvertip badger? Looking for something with more stiffness, maybe not quite such a lather hog, but still soft and comfy.

Grooming Company synthetic for $55.

Plisson/L'Occitane synthetic is currently being sold for just $30--a steal if you like a brush that's very soft on the face but nonetheless excellent with hard soaps. Connaught Shaving has the excellent Muhle HJM black fibre brush for about $25 delivered.

Muhle and EJ synthetics can be had for much less if you shop around and are willing to wait a bit on the shipping time. I like my $30 Plisson L'Occitane very much. Many complain that it is a bit on the floppy side. I think it doesn't so much "flop" as "yield". A lather monster nonetheless.

The Plisson is great and I love the hell out of it, but if he wants a stiffer brush, it is not the way to go. It will face lather just fine imo, but it has very little backbone.

Try Vulfix vs1. This is very inexpensive brush ~ $10. Maby bristle isn't so good as synthetic SilverTip in Muhle but it's do the job and dry quickly.

I do like Mühle synthetics, but only their latest Silvertip Fibres (STF).

By comparison, the HJM (low-cost Mühle) black fibre is clearly inferior to the L'Occitane-Plisson synthetic.

The latter one is sometime said to be "floppy", but I found the brush copes surprisingly well with soaps and creams and is very gentle to the face.

At the $30 mentioned, the 'Occitane-Plisson is an obvious recommendation.

B.

Yes, the Muhle HJM is a jewel and in your price range

I've been super-impressed with this one. Its not too dense, very soft, and can churn up the hardest of soaps. I've tried the Plisson, a Muhle STF, and a Muhle black fibre (non-HJM) and found them all to be too dense for my liking; I face-lather soaps and like to slightly mash the brush on my face as I swirl. The HJM is perfect for me.

Top Bottom