What's new

Sandalwood Shaving Soap

Tobs is out of this world. Soap and A/S are incredible scents. Cyril.R.Salter cream also very nice. D.R.Harris (according to my wife), not as deep and sensual! Crabtree and Evelyn Indian Sandalwood similar to Tobs IMHO. C&E Sandalwood is similar to D.R.Harris Sandalwood A/S. Just my take on it all.

icon1.png
Indian sandalwood is Santalum alba, now endangered in India, Nepal and Pakistan due to over-forestation and poaching. There are now plantations of Indian sandalwood in Australia, and that may bring the price down somewhat...eventually. There are two native Australian species of sandalwood, but they have less of the important chemical constituent. Santalum paniculatum is a kind of native Hawaiian sandalwood, and there's a relatvely inexpensive oil called "West Indian Sandalwood" that is not sandalwood at all: it's another plant entirely (Amyris balsamifera).

Because of the expense of real sandalwood essential oil, it's unlikely that most soapmakers are using it in soap because you'd need so much of it: I priced it once for that purpose and it would have pushed the price of a single puck up to $50 or $60 or so...and that was several years ago. Fragrance oil interpretations of sandalwood are wildly variable, both in strength and scent. Some of them don't smell like real sandalwood at all, to my nose. So, YMMV, big-time.​

Quoted because everyone interested in fragrance should know about the state of Sandalwood. Excellent post.

I am also very interested about what really smells like sandalwood. I did not have the chance to try a lot of stuff but these are my experiences.
The first sandalwood product I came in contact with was Farfalla Sandalwood ASB. I really didn't know at first what sandalwood should smell like but immediately thought "This must be it!". I had the chance to grab rests of TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream but it was quite old and a little bit dried out. I don't know if it affected the original scent but it still smells quite strong and definitely different than the Farfalla ASB. There is a hint of the what the Farfalla smelled like but also a lot of "powdery" scents. It did not smell as natural as Farfalla. I also picked up a bar of Savon du Midi Sandalwood and this smelled pretty similar to TOBS so I guess TOBS does something right. I also have a puck of Haslinger Sandalwood and this smells pretty light but similar to the Savon du Midi. Anyway the Farfalla smells the most natural and best for me.

I am also very interested about what really smells like sandalwood. I did not have the chance to try a lot of stuff but these are my experiences.
The first sandalwood product I came in contact with was Farfalla Sandalwood ASB. I really didn't know at first what sandalwood should smell like but immediately thought "This must be it!". I had the chance to grab rests of TOBS Sandalwood Shaving Cream but it was quite old and a little bit dried out. I don't know if it affected the original scent but it still smells quite strong and definitely different than the Farfalla ASB. There is a hint of the what the Farfalla smelled like but also a lot of "powdery" scents. It did not smell as natural as Farfalla. I also picked up a bar of Savon du Midi Sandalwood and this smelled pretty similar to TOBS so I guess TOBS does something right. I also have a puck of Haslinger Sandalwood and this smells pretty light but similar to the Savon du Midi. Anyway the Farfalla smells the most natural and best for me.

As far as current products out there that emulate very close to genuine Sandalwood scents - Proraso Red sandalwood shave cream and AoS Sandalwood shave cream. Those two are as close and pretty spot on to the genuine essential oils scent I recall experiencing as a kid. At one time you could buy the genuine Indian imported oil pretty easy and it was not too expensive from a local heath food store or natural perfumer shop, but that was prior to the mid 1990's, more like in the late 1970's through the 80's. Many other Sandalwood products out there are blends with other fragrant notes blended in, not a pure "one note" scent like the real stuff.

As far as current products out there that emulate very close to genuine Sandalwood scents - Proraso Red sandalwood shave cream and AoS Sandalwood shave cream. Those two are as close and pretty spot on to the genuine essential oils scent I recall experiencing as a kid. At one time you could buy the genuine Indian imported oil pretty easy and it was not too expensive from a local heath food store or natural perfumer shop, but that was prior to the mid 1990's, more like in the late 1970's through the 80's. Many other Sandalwood products out there are blends with other fragrant notes blended in, not a pure "one note" scent like the real stuff.

I have a tube of Proraso red in my arsenal and it does have a much stronger sandalwood scent than the TOBS sandalwood soap I have as well. The TOBS definitely smells like it is blended with other fragrances so it is not as overwhelming while the Proraso just says "yeah I smell like sandalwood and that's all you get from me." This isn't a bad thing but it seems more people tend to like the milder scent of TOBS. For me it just depends on the mood I am in that day I guess. They're both great scents just much different.

For me the sandalwood scent doesn't have to be overpowering but it has to smell natural. The only product that did that so far was the farfalla ASB.

if you dont like the TOBS mixed scent you can always opt for the WSP sandalwood. its a cheaper puck at 11.99 and you get a really clean sandalwood scent that sticks around for hours. and the lather is always really creamy and smooth. feels like padding on your face when you lather it on if done correctly. must say though this soap requires less water imo, to much and it dissipates

Buts still hands down its the TOBS lol .

I've just received a tin of Pheonix Artisan Accoutrements Sandalwood soap (the re-branded Synergy/PFF stuff).

For all those interested, it has a very, very authentic wood scent (at least to my nose). By that, I mean that it's a straight, slightly exotic, warm wood, with just a tinge of bitterness. I can't detect any perfumey or barbershop-type background at all. It's an interesting one for sure, and I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin.

Not only did I cave and get CRSW Sandalwood (awesome!!), but also bought some of the old stock/tallow AOS Sandalwood off of Ebay.

The first shave was so amazing...actually the best shave and post shave experience I've had in 10 years of wet shaving, I bought another backup puck....it's THAT good.

Not only did I cave and get CRSW Sandalwood (awesome!!), but also bought some of the old stock/tallow AOS Sandalwood off of Ebay.

The first shave was so amazing...actually the best shave and post shave experience I've had in 10 years of wet shaving, I bought another backup puck....it's THAT good.

Excellent stuff indeed, I have both of these and really enjoy them. The Phoenix Artisan one is the only other one I'd recommend as it's really outstanding as well in performance and scent. All three of the soaps smell a bit different while still being true to the sandlewood scent. I like all three of them quite a bit and reach for them all frequently.

Top Bottom