What's new

Lapping Film Kit

I know this question has been asked a number of times before and I've read through quite a few threads on lapping film / stones etcetera but I'm still not clear about what I need and and I just want to make sure I am getting the right stuff, if somebody wouldn't mind helping me.

I am basically new to straight razors and I would not be contemplating doing my own honing except for the fact that I am living in Thailand and it looks like it would cost me around $70 to send razors to the UK or USA to be honed and then sent back so you can see that the cost would quickly add up. That's not to mention the fact that each time I send one halfway round the world I stand the chance of losing it, something I'm not keen on either.

So...hopefully you'll understand why I want to dive straight into honing even if it's not the best idea. I was initially thinking about buying a set of stones but I only have three straights at the moment, two of which need honing and one of which is still on its way to me from a B&B member and will be shave ready when it arrives (assuming a customs official doesn't abuse it before it reaches me). I therefore came to the conclusion that lapping film would be the most sensible choice for me as I will only be honing a handful of times a year to start with.

I have found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Lapping-...897?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecf918821 and it seems to be the right kind of lapping film as far as I can see but if somebody could confirm whether it's suitable or not, I'd be eternally grateful.

From what I have read so far, I think I am right in saying that I probably won't need the 30µ and that I could use the 15µ to set a bevel with? After that I am not so sure. I am guessing I could go 9-5-3-1 after the 15? It's not the ideal progression I was looking for, I thought a 12 would go better after the 15 but it's the nearest I can find for a reasonable price online. Also, could I use the .3µ to freshen up an edge instead of using CrOx paste on a strop?

Any comments gratefully received.

It looks to be the right stuff. I use 30um to bevel set. You can use 15 um, but since you have it. Personally, I dislike the feel of anything under 1um. I just go back to the film for touch ups. Usually 3 then 1.

Thanks a lot. Does 15-9-5-3-1 sound OK after setting the bevel with the 30 or is that maybe too many steps?

Don't forget to go 1 then 1 with paper underneath. Or I've been going straight to 1 with paper. Try it out and see what you like.

Great, thanks again for your help. I'm really looking forward to the learning process, plus it will give me an excuse to buy more razors to practise with!

I don't use film often any more. The edges I liked best were 0.3 micron with 1 sheet of paper underneath. Others prefer 1 with either 1 or 2 sheets of paper underneath. I've even heard of someone preferinf 3 micron with paper underneath. Once you get the honing figured out, try different things to see what you like best.

I'll definitely experiment once I am happy that I have a fair idea what I'm doing. Possibly like to try stones too, at a later date, but I'm trying not to bankrupt myself at the moment!

That's the exact kit I bought as well, although I pieced mine together from Amazon. Total was >10$ shipped.

Don't forget to put a piece of tape on the spine!

I started out with another kit from Amazon that was not the correct type of film. It looked like compressed fibers on the back side would would not sharpen past HTT1.

So, start with your least favorite razor and keep on reading the tutorials.

Good luck!

Thanks. I noticed that I could put that kit together for a lot less money on Amazon but unfortunately there only seems to be one vendor and they don't ship overseas. I'm looking into sourcing it locally at the moment, as paying 3-4 times what it really costs kind of sticks in my craw!

They look nice enough in the advertisements but when you buy one it looks like somebody has removed half the contents of the bun and then sat on it for 30 minutes.

I work at a pretty nice restaurant with a very high quality burger on the menu. The other night I got a request for a well done, hold everything but cheese, and hollow out the bun for them.

I asked how old the kid was.

I was told they looked about thirty-five.

Top Bottom