What's new

How do i convince my parents to buy me a good safety razor

A nice beginners razor is the Feather Progress which cost about $16 on Amazon including shipping. For Astra blades I think Sally beauty supply sells them so you can save a few dollars. Learn your technique and before you realize you will be ready for another razor. In addition I would offer your Dad a chance to use your DE razor as I bet he had an aggressive razor which turn off shavers. Good luck.

I would gladly send you this PIF if it is ok with your parents to PM your address. I will also pick up a puck of VDH soap and throw that in. It might take a couple of weeks to clear customs from CONUS but then all you would need is to pick up a decent brush, Omegas are very good quality and affordable.

View attachment 513114

That's very good of you to offer that.
I've been trying to figure out if it would be cool with his parents to ask for his address so I could PIF him a Merkur Bakelite 45c with a few Voskhod blades. You could always say you ordered them online but I can't really be one to encourage lying.

Ah I see. Are there rules concerning PIFs?

It's up to the one doing the PIF. Some PIF's you've just gotta say "I'm in." and thats it, others you might just have to be the 1st to PM the PIFer to win it. Some you might have to play some kind of little game or write a little story.

They generally have already laid out the rules in the OP's post.

My question is can you request a PIF?

Sorry for hijacking this thread. That is all.

There's really nothing saying you can't I guess but it can be a little bit of a dodgy road. If I seen a thread where somebody was blatantly asking for free stuff they'd not be very likely to get anything from me but this young man here who is the threads OP is one of the many people liable to become converted to wetshaving for quite a few years. That's why there's good people here offering him stuff.

BTW the Merkur and the Voskhods are still up for grabs young man if it's cool with your parents to get free stuff from a guy in Ireland. :lol:

You could do all those things which others have suggested that demonstrate character and maturity. Or, you could simply do what kids in your situation have done for thousands of years when they wanted something their parents wouldn't get them - ask you grandparents for one!

You could do all those things which others have suggested that demonstrate character and maturity. Or, you could simply do what kids in your situation have done for thousands of years when they wanted something their parents wouldn't get them - ask you grandparents for one!

Haha that is so very true!

+1

Genius advice.

People get cars, tuition, musical instruments, and straight cash by doing this... I'm sure a DE razor would be a reasonable request. Just show them your razorburn and you're in like flint.

Why won't they allow you to buy a 34c? I suggest you don't just up and buy 100 blades of some kind w/o trying a sampler first. If you buy 100 blades of some kind, and that blade doesn't work for you, your dad will just say he told you so. Get your 34c, get a sampler of a bunch of different kinds of blades, and see how it goes.

Or, if the $4 razor you bought can take regular DE blades, skip the 34c for now, and just get a sampler. You can save money that way, you already have the handle, and if things work out, you get the 34c later. You've got to show your parents that it works for you, or they'll continue to scoff. I agree with getting your dad on this site. He might pick up some info.

My suggestion:

1. get a few more DE blades and continue using DE for the next 1 to 2 months (maybe 3) to show them u are in it for the long run.
2. Do the math, and show them that the past 1/2/3 months , by using DE instead of fusion proglide, you've already saved $x .
3. With the current savings, u would like to upgrade to another DE. It'll be an expense upfront, but by Y months, it'll cover itself compared to the fusion proglide, and save more in the long run.

Hopefully you'll get the idea and ur folks will agree.

Story of my childhood all over again. I still remember wanting to learn how to use a knife when I was 7 only to still have my food being cut for me by my mother or father. Went down to my Grandparents in County Meath, asked to be taught and got taught. Came home bragging at 7 years old that "Since you didn't teach me I asked my Nana to do it". My parents hated when my grandparents went against them like that while I loved getting away with murder down there :thumbup1:

to bad both pairs of my grandparents are gone, my grandpa could probably convince my parents if he was still here.

That's very good of you to offer that.
I've been trying to figure out if it would be cool with his parents to ask for his address so I could PIF him a Merkur Bakelite 45c with a few Voskhod blades. You could always say you ordered them online but I can't really be one to encourage lying.

Thanks for the offer, but i already got a PIF coming from smalldog.

Top Bottom