What's new

How do i convince my parents to buy me a good safety razor

I am fine with shipping it to Canada, but don't want to do it unless they are ok with it. Otherwise enjoy the Micro Touch to start, not a bad price at all. Just let me know, just make sure to send it in a PM if they say it's ok.

i have money just need permission

Then get the microtouch One. It's 20 and it is as good as my Weishi which was chapter but is only found online through Amazon. The Microtouch One is found in Walmart in the As Seen In section by the registers and actually sells the blades too. IMO at 12 for 7.99 it ids a bit expensive as you can find 100 packs for 9.99+ shipping on Amazon.

Id also suggest the canned foam creams for under $2.00 and as little as under $1.00 WITH tax. Sure you don't get the brush but it is a way to get your start. Oh and make sure you have a septic pencil, after shave and moisturizing cream for possible razor burn

The reason why your parents say this is because they love you, they think DE razors are dangerous and they don't want that something bad happens to their son. I understand it but to me, switching to DE shaving is the best decision I ever made. I have the Merkur 34D HD, it's a great beginners razor I don't use it anymore because I have moved to agressive opencomb razors which work better for me. But if I have a son in the future I will give him my 34C HD and learn him the stuff my never father taught me. So he won't miss that part of his live like I did.

If you start DE shaving you need to map your beard growth. A WTG isn't simply from north to south, it's north from south from the direction your hair grows. If you apply this rule you'll be able to achieve a BBS very easy.

About the 100 Astra's. I would get a blade sampler first, when I started to shave I found the Astra SP's to be the best. But later I discovered the Permasharps which are even better so I bought 200 of them. I might try the Polsilvers too and if they're better than the Permasharps I'll buy 500 of them.

Carts sucks, I never could get a descent shave from them. After 3 shaves my fusion carts became dull I have very thick Mediterranean, and they're so damn expensive. 100 Permasharps cost 15 euro while 4 Fusion carts cost 16 euro.

When I started to shave with the DE's my mother was happy for me that I could save money, she told me that back in the days everybody used them. She was pretty amazed when she felt my first BBS.

I think it's impossible to kill yourself with a DE razor. Every day there are men/women who convert to DE shaving.

Haseeb, you mention you've now been at this for a few weeks now, I'm sure we'll all be interested to hear how you're getting on and how the shave is progressing for you? How are you finding technique developing?

As many of the others have stated, DE supplies will be far less costly than cartridges. My suggestion is to actually show them a piece of paper (do the calculations yourself based on the actual prices where you live) with a breakdown of the annual costs associated with both systems. When they actually see the savings gained by using a DE, they might be more willing to give you permission.

I started with Creamo Shave cream, as for a brush I just got the cheapest badger brush off Amazon. I still use it everyday. I will someday get a better one but I see no need. Creamo can be picked up at Walmart locally that why I started with it.

Yes, after approval from his parents I am mailing it out in the morning. Might take a couple weeks through customs, I am hoping it has found a good home. Also, I want to commend this young man as he was very responsible with his private information, I am glad. I only hope my children are being just as responsible!

Yes, after approval from his parents I am mailing it out in the morning. Might take a couple weeks through customs, I am hoping it has found a good home. Also, I want to commend this young man as he was very responsible with his private information, I am glad. I only hope my children are being just as responsible!

Kudos to you smalldog! What an awesome thing.

[emoji106]

I'm late to this thread, but it was very awesome to read. The first couple pages I was literally saying out loud "SOMEONE OFFER HIM A PIF! THIS IS B&B! IT'S WHAT WE DO!"

I've only got a few months of DE shaving under my belt, but I was considering stepping up myself until smalldog did. Got him some soap and everything!

Haseeb, if you end up reading this, I highly encourage you to stick around the forum. There is a LOT to be learned from this place, and I'm sure you can tell by now how helpful, friendly, and gentlemanly B&B is. You will inevitably have questions about products and techniques just like many of us did, so know that there is no such thing as a stupid question on B&B. There's also a bunch of Canadian members who can probably help you find the most practical and affordable ways to get what you need in Canada. A lot of us spend way too much on shaving supplies, but there's a lot of us who spend almost nothing and only seek out the low-cost products.

Speaking of cheap products:
-VDH Soap that I believe smalldog included in the package can probably be found locally at drug stores or Wal-Mart. I started with it... it's fine.
-There's also VDH starter kits, brushes, and other startup supplies they sell for very cheap
-Arko. Broke? Arko. Want a great shave? Arko. Find Arko. Get to know Arko.
-You'll find that boar hair brushes are more in your price range. There are many great ones, and they are not very expensive. Most popular brands are Semogue and Omega, both of whom make great brushes. They're common enough where I bet you can find an online vendor who ships to or maybe even from Canada.

That Gillette Super Speed that's on its way to you is a great razor.

but where do i get one, i live in a small town in canada and have only seen high quality razors online

I live in a big town in Canada and to begin my journey recently bought a Razorock Mission Razer with 25 blades ($20us)from Italian Barber, who are in another town in Canada and i couldn't be more pleased. Show your parents it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to get started and if it doesn't pan out (bet it will) not much has been invested.

Used a Trac II for ~40 years and never knew what a good shave was until i started with this DE back in September and... the shaves just keep improving as i get a grip on what i need to do.

Good luck!

http://www.italianbarber.com/razorock-mission-3piece-double-edge-de-safety-razor

Man, I thought my mom was strict! Luckily I'm 17 so I'm in possession of a debit card. Just wait till you get a debit card, you can buy pretty much anything.

Honestly though, just persist. It's not like you're asking to try a drug or alcohol, it's simply shaving. It might take a couple months, but just keep asking and making points. That's how I got my belt sander for sharpening knives.

Last week I mentioned to my mom that if she bought me a 100 pack of blades, it'd last me 1-2 years. She realized that she'd shave some money by doing that.

Honestly the biggest difference in this style of shaving is the soap for me. My favorite is VDH Deluxe, which they have at Woodman's for $1.39 a puck. They also have the kit for 6 or 7 bucks! I struggle to use up my 3 tubes of Proraso I bought. It's just as easy to lather up the VDH and I like the qualities of VDH more.

Top Bottom