What's new

The Sound of the Shave

I have been DE shaving with a Blue Tip Super Speed for awhile and have been getting great shaves. Maybe I'm nuts but it seems that the sound the blade makes as it cuts the hair changes with each blade brand. Astra's sound different than Sharks, Feathers sound different than Derby. Am I crazy or does each blade have it's own sound and could this be due to the coating ? Sharpness ? or maybe the thickness of the blade? Has anyone else noticed this or do I need to seek professional help and check into a rubber padded room?

It's certainly possible, as the sound produced by a razor is due to resonance of the blade and the razor itself. The blade is like a guitar string - the razor, like the body of the guitar. The mass and thickness of the blade will affect the frequency and amplitude of any resonance.

I remember, as a mere wisp of a lad, watching my Dad shave (Gillette Blue Blade) being fascinated, more than anything else, by the sound of the shaving. Now...I like hearing it when I shave.

I'll have to listen carefully to see if it varies with shaving conditions. I would suspect that length/softness of beard would be a factor (as an injector user, the variance of blades is obviously a non-factor for me).

Blades, lather thickness, time between shaves, all can contribute to the Whisker Symphony. I do like the sound very much.

The sound is so muted with most razors, I am hardly aware of it, unless it's in a frequency that I have lost as my age has progressed. On the other hand, shaves with a Gem brand SE and Blue Star carbon steel blade are quite loud sounding, & soothing, somehow.

The sound is so muted with most razors, I am hardly aware of it, unless it's in a frequency that I have lost as my age has progressed. On the other hand, shaves with a Gem brand SE and Blue Star carbon steel blade are quite loud sounding, & soothing, somehow.

Indeed. It also depends on what angle you use (if the razor has enough range such that there is a choice). Shallower blade angle, means less strumming of the blade, and less sound. My regular use razors (including the 2011 R41 which has a very unsupported blade) are all essentially silent with my technique (as shallow as possible).

I had touchup passes this morning where I couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting that last bit of stubble. Then I changed the angle and heard the cutting sounds. I went, "Aahhhh..." BBS at last.

rubber padded room for you, off you go now :lol:...jk....well i would say i have heard different audio feedback from my progress to my merkur 33c. i know different razors give different feedback, but from each razor blade to another, im not so sure. but, i wont jump to a conclusion and disagree, as i do think it is very possible to actually acquire different sounds from different blades. maybe not a different sound between gillette blacks and yellows, but maybe between gillette blacks and feathers, or any brand that used different steel and uses a different manufacturing process from the last, then maybe there could be, but you would really have to try and listen, to hear any audio feedback differences.

When I shave with my hearing aids in, I can definitely discern the sound change with each successive pass. The 'scritch' sound becomes softer with my 2nd and then 3rd passes.

In addition to different sounds coming from different blades and blade angle, there is a pronounced difference is sound from different razors. My Ikon slant is louder and has a significantly different sound from the Feather AS D2.

In addition to different sounds coming from different blades and blade angle, there is a pronounced difference is sound from different razors. My Ikon slant is louder and has a significantly different sound from the Feather AS D2.
+1 My Mergress XL is very loud when compared to using my R41.

I have been DE shaving with a Blue Tip Super Speed for awhile and have been getting great shaves. Maybe I'm nuts but it seems that the sound the blade makes as it cuts the hair changes with each blade brand. Astra's sound different than Sharks, Feathers sound different than Derby. Am I crazy or does each blade have it's own sound and could this be due to the coating ? Sharpness ? or maybe the thickness of the blade? Has anyone else noticed this or do I need to seek professional help and check into a rubber padded room?
no need for the room,you have us :w00t:

Top Bottom