What's new

What rodent died in your bottle today?

I thought i would really enjoy english leather but something in it was just so offensive to my nose. I know the feeling about the clubman, i ordered one of each and they were not what i was expecting.

I thought this was another Veg thread at first lol.

Mine was Fines L'Orange Noir. To me it smelled like rotting oranges. Nothing against his product for that is the only one not in my rotation.

I just got some of that, was very wary of my "smell presence" tyhe first few days I wore it, but I persevered, now I like it.

My one memory of badness was as a teen. I got a bottle of "Stetson" from a friend of my parents for Xmas, not knowing any better at 14 yo in 1982 I sprayed it on on the way to school. Within seconds I realised I smelled of urine...so bad, I hopped back in the shower and had Mom drive me to school!

Special
reserve has the same effect on me. Couldn't wait to open the bottle and was very disappointed. Over the course of many years I have tried it again and still horrible. The Veg has the same reaction with me. Have learned to stay away.

Old Spice Fresh. my dad's got a 90s glass bottle of it... whew, well maybe the dry down is better, headache in about 5 minutes. ok maybe that bottle skunked somehow, so i bought a new one, and it's just as bad. i like old spice, and about everything they make, but not that one!

I actually really like the Old spice fresh, sorry to hear you aren't a fan.

Samb1619, I'm glad you like it, I just wish it liked me. I guess 'Fresh' Old Spice was too much oxymoron for my body. :(Another one that I now know doesn't like me was Avon Everest, i'd found a still boxed clawhammer full of it, smelled foresty. slap some on, hmm, maybe it drys better? it got a great reaction from her "Ugh! wow that's bad, go wash it off!" uh, maybe that's why it was full...

Over the summer I had a six ounce bottle of The Veg in my desk at work for mid-day freshening up (yeah, I'm that guy). Since the cooler weather has arrived, I've now got a bottle of SR in my desk. Although, as has been noted, the morning splash of SR is usually good for the rest of the day, so this six ouncer should last six months, otherwise known as the duration of Canadian winters.
As for the aftershave that didn't do it for me, Fine Snakebite...the less said the better.

Last edited:
First thing that comes to mind for me is penhaligons Blenheim bouquet. That stuff smells like musty old men and armpits to me. I mean I had a bottle of the cologne, and I was going down the road after I sprayed some of it on in a rush out the door. First time use, didn't think or smell it. Next thing I know I have this God-awful scent of something so nasty and rude. I could not pinpoint the source. I forgot I sprayed the stuff on. It reminded me of an old delapidated nursing home that had not been cleaned in months, the waste of old men and women just building up in their sweaty, unkempt beds as they woller around in it all, urine dripping from soaked mattresses. Yes, that bad folks.

Last edited:
Interesting. I got a bottle of this recently and came to the conclusion that it has no Bay Rum scent nor much of any scent. At least not to me.

English Leather has a kind of "dirt" smell or something that I just can't get into. But then again I wear the Veg so my olfactory senses may be compromised. :lol:

I did that with my very first aftershave purchase. Lucky Tiger Bay Rum. It was a scratch and dent sale from WCS and I figured it wouldn't put me out too much just to try it.
First application immediately made me think of my grandfather-in-law. Pretty interesting.
Second application on the mug made me decide to PIF it.

Not sure if it worked out for the next guy and I know plenty of guys like the stuff, it's just not for me. Could be body chemistry or it could be the fact that all I could think of is old folks. Luckily I never wore it to work, but I'm pretty sure I stank up Lowe's that day!

Gotta go +1 on the special reserve trouncing. I bought it, the Veg, and VIBR in a Pinaud acquisition frenzy.

I can honestly say I couldn't live with the Special Reserve, I almost gagged and my wife hollered and complained about it. The Veg actually made it through a day- but my nose is one of those that picks up on the distinct flavor of "****" in the Veg. But the special reserve was just god awful. Actually....

Someone above mentioned "Sex Panther" in relation to the SR, and it reminds me. I took that bottle and gave it to my buddy who sits next to me at work. I gave it to him the day he went home to "meet his wife" after a long separation. Needless to say he came back a little *ahem- disheveled so we all thought it would be funny to put the Pinaud on his desk with a "please apply before sitting down" note. We put a stickie over the name, replacing it with "Sex Panther."

But I miscalculated... he wears it every single day and I hate that smell so much. He comes in reeking of it and all I can think about it is that day... that's what I get for PIFing a product I don't like to a guy I see every day. Lesson Learned.

I don’t have any particular brand or such I find repugnant, just one scent- Lilac. Be it in any form from any maker. It is the only ingredient that is a no go as it gives me an instant headache. I don’t find Lilac in itself distasteful, just the effect it has on me.
Anyways, this all reminds me of an experiment we had back in 8[SUP]th[/SUP] grade many, many moons ago, maybe you did it too. The science teacher passed out little paper strips and told the class to taste it and write done what we thought. I and one or two others wrote mint, the rest paper. I have never forgotten this lesson as an example of how people sense differently be it taste/smell.
I personally have never smelled ‘urine’ in any fragrance like some people do…I guess I got the mint gene instead… :001_smile

Tried the Nivea balm... smelled odd in the bottle. After I applied it it smelled like hospital disinfectant.
Had to try and wash it off. I tried to mask it by adding a few drops of lavender oil, but to no avail.

Luckily I found someone to pif to.

Special reserve is another, I am a big fan of the Pinaud Clubman line (especially the Lilac Vegetal and Original). I opened the SR and was overwhelmed by the strong smell, very smokey, "full ash-tray" smell.
I left open to air out a bit, and applied it sparingly on wet hands before rubbing it on. Even diluted with water it was strong, and lasted a long time.

I have tried it 3 times, now it is an over-powering cigar smell. So now it is looking for a trade or new home lol.

Special Reserve must be like strong coffee and cigars. Many folks become fans or even addicts, but the initial sampling may leave the uninitiated feeling...unwell.

Interesting I found this thread. My 1st bottle of Special Reserve arrived today and of course I was very curious to open it and see what this mystery was about. My first thought upon sniffing was SOAP. like some kind of soap you'd find at a health food store, the kind that comes unwrapped, smells like amber or something woody. The wow, all I did was open the bottle, take a few whiffs.. now my whole room smells like it. it's crazy, what the hell, scent molecules escaping like tiny bats out of hell. At least I know to apply very very carefully. I know I'll be cutting that with either water or witch hazel..

Top Bottom