What's new

Dulling to sharpen?

I got some stones and a factory stock GD. I have read about running the blade to dull the edge before starting. So should I just start honing with the stock edge or dull it so I have a set starting point?

The reason to swipe the edge lightly on glass is so that when you reset the bevel, you can test the edge to ensure the bevel is properly set. Since you are starting this razor from scratch you should kill the edge in this way. Then when you come off the 1k you can test your bevel before moving forward.

The actual sharpening is done at 1k and the rest is refinement and polishing so make sure it shave hair or do the Doc tomato test or thumbnail to ensure you are there.

Last edited:
The best things about factory gds is they already dull them at the factory, so theyre saving you one step! Dulling is your choice of course.

Is there a special glass I should get to dull my razors on?

Something from Japan, perhaps?

Apparently they always have the best stuff.

Is there a special glass I should get to dull my razors on?

Something from Japan, perhaps?

Apparently they always have the best stuff.

I imagine that you could probably use a piece of glass from China or the edge of your perfectly flat granite plate. Speaking of glass, do you think the panels from old panasonic lcd tvs are flat enough to put your tissue paper on?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The reason to swipe the edge lightly on glass is so that when you reset the bevel, you can test the edge to ensure the bevel is properly set. Since you are starting this razor from scratch you should kill the edge in this way. Then when you come off the 1k you can test your bevel before moving forward.

The actual sharpening is done at 1k and the rest is refinement and polishing so make sure it shave hair or do the Doc tomato test or thumbnail to ensure you are there.
Does it actually kill the bevel though? I don't do this often, but when I do dull on glass I can get the bevel back with a very short amount of half strokes on a coticule. Anyway, there must be something to it because I have two vintage stones where you can see where the previous owner has dulled the edge on the corners many times.

If the bevel is set the edge comes back quickly. If not then it won't. If the razor is already dull you aren't really doing anything when you dull it.

When I go to vacuum the livingroom, I usually throw a bunch of dirt and pet hair around in there to make sure it's good and messy before I start vacuuming.

I wouldn't want to start with a carpet that was mostly clean, and just needed a quick once over. No sir! Nope, best to make things more difficult than they need be and thereby we can truly KNOW if the vacuum was working or not. I'm sure it's the correct method to use, without even having to question it as I read it on a Belgian vacuum cleaner forum...

I always dull the blade before honing so I will know it was my efforts (and not a previously set bevel) that made it sharp. That's a little OCD, I guess.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
When I go to vacuum the livingroom, I usually throw a bunch of dirt and pet hair around in there to make sure it's good and messy before I start vacuuming.

I wouldn't want to start with a carpet that was mostly clean, and just needed a quick once over. No sir! Nope, best to make things more difficult than they need be and thereby we can truly KNOW if the vacuum was working or not. I'm sure it's the correct method to use, without even having to question it as I read it on a Belgian vacuum cleaner forum...
Heh heh heh. :thumbup:

I think the dulling only make sense if no microscope is used.
No point in undoing something that works to just re-do it again.
No if no microscope, then I can see that as it could be sharp, but with microdents. Forcing to re-do the bevel gives a better chance at having a nice clean edge.

Anyway, I use a microscope during bevel set.

hahaha subscribed to the vacuum thread! :-D

OP: I often dull it lightly on glass for the reasons mentioned before: I'll know when its fully reset.

On a side note though, I remember someone posting about being able to get HHT to pass even after running the edge on glass, simply by stropping the hell out of it afterwards... I haven't got around to testing this myself yet though.

Would running the blade on glass flatten out any micro roughness on the edge?

So now I need a razor, a stone/film a vacuum cleaner. Boy this rabbit hole is deep!

Top Bottom