What's new

Cut the cord!

Anyone else cute the cable?

We are no longer a cable TV customer. We use and antenna and a roku box.

I have one more low tech cheap solution I am looking for and could use some help

How can I record my over the air shows to watch later. I have seen a few options but does anyone do this now that can suggest something?

Yeah, I cut out cable. Now that HBO is offering GO without a cable subscription, I won't be going back...

My cable is included in my rent, but otherwise, I would not have it. Unfortunately, we all still depend on the cable company for Internet :mad3:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Anyone else cute the cable?

We are no longer a cable TV customer. We use and antenna and a roku box.

I have one more low tech cheap solution I am looking for and could use some help

How can I record my over the air shows to watch later. I have seen a few options but does anyone do this now that can suggest something?

A Media Center capable Computer will record over the air TV if that source is selected.

I did for about 1 1/2 years. Got tired of cable so I turned them off. Bought an antenna and a Sony Internet Player that hooked up to my TV and had Netflix and a bunch of other programs. I didn't miss cable much. The only time I missed it when a certain tv show, football game, etc. came on a channel I couldn't pick up clearly. But I gave in and got cable tv back recently.

I cut TV off completely (sort of). I can't stream, so I use Netflix DVD for all of my content (as well as purchases for things I want long term). I do plan to augment with an TV antenna soon for OTA, mainly so I can get weather news, etc. I'm quite far away from the nearest stations though, so it's more of a challenge. I'm taking down one of my Ham radio antennas on a 55ft tower I have so I can put up a TV antenna. Nearest station is around 60 miles away.

I'll say, it is great no seeing commercials. I haven't seen a TV commercial for over two years. It will be interesting to see if the lack of commercials will affect my ability to connect with others as well in the long term. At least in the past some of the slang and societal norms have been born out of commercials (for better or worse).

We cut out cable about a year ago and have not looked back. Most news comes from a cheap HD ready antenna (I want to upgrade to a better one) for movies we jacked a laptop into the TV via a HDMI cable and use a blue tooth keyboard with a integral touch pad. The TV acts as a mirrored monitor for the laptop. Not having that extra $100 bill is really sweet. That's $1,200 a year that can go to on line redbox movie rentals and other things.

I know a tivo will do it but they are not cheap at all

I am thinking of getting a USB tuner for the PC. Use WMC to record shows and convert the file to something I can put on an SD card and play on roku. Anyone try that yet?

Have you seen the program Playon? We have used their Playlater program to record a show for later watching. I have it installed on a laptop and throw it onto the Roku.

I would cut cable in a heart beat if Fox news would offer streaming.

I built a computer to record OTA shows years ago. You could also get a Channel Master DVR+, Tablo, Simple.tv or TIVO Roamio. I think the Channel Master is the only one without monthly fees.

We "cut the cord" about a year ago. We have internet service at home, but no home phone (cell phones), and no cable/satelite.

We have/use AppleTV and watch some stuff on Netflix. Anything I can't get on Netflix (the select few current shows we watch, or the rare movie) gets downloaded, and played through the AppleTV.

Zero regrets!

I'll say, it is great no seeing commercials. I haven't seen a TV commercial for over two years. It will be interesting to see if the lack of commercials will affect my ability to connect with others as well in the long term. At least in the past some of the slang and societal norms have been born out of commercials (for better or worse).

I feel like my lack of seeing commercials keeps me a bit behind. Friends will talk about a new product, but I do not know of it yet. I will live with that, though, because I am saving a lot of money whereas they are paying more and still having to sit through commercials.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
We use and antenna and a roku box.

How can I record my over the air shows to watch later.

The last time I did this, it was rabbit ears, a 17" "tube" tv, and a VCR. You just plug the antenna feed into the VCR instead of the TV, and away you go. Mind you, the technology may have improved a bit since the 1990s.

At least it wasn't Beta.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
There are 2 things holding me back. NFL Football and Jeopardy. I live outside of the market for the Steelers, which would require going to a bar to watch the game, and that gets old, and expensive fast. If we could watch Jeopardy on Hulu or another service I would put by DTV service on hold for 6 months a year.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Unfortunately, we all still depend on the cable company for Internet :mad3:
Tell me about it! If there were any other service that offered a decent internet speed at a reasonable price I would cut the cable tomorrow.

Unfortunately the only cable internet here is Comcast. And no way am I going with them.

So for now I just keep the TV. I would get AT&T...but their prices for the higher speeds are laughable.

What bugs the crap out of me (and by "bugs" I mean down right makes me angry) is that to get the good deals they all make you sign up for a "triple package" - tv, internet, and phone.

In this day and age that's garbage.

Top Bottom